Thread: Squadron Leader Derek Harold Hammond RNZAF

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Derek Harold Hammond RNZAF

Can anyone tell me anything about the Air Force career of Squadron Leader Derek Harold Hammond DSO DFC + Bar (NZ 401493) RNZAF after his time with 489 NZ Squadron? I believe that he may have been posted to Transport Command at sometime.

Thanks

The book "By Such Deeds" by C M Hanson, tells that he was in the RNZAF contingent at the Victory Parade in London on 8 Jun 46. He died in Auckland on 8 Oct 98.

The book also talks about Wg Cdr H J Hammond who served in Transport Command and was on the Berlin Airlift: any chance that there is a confusion between the two men?

Old Duffer

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I may be confusing the 2; I am not sure. H J Hammond seems the more likely as D H Hammond was previously a Beaufighter pilot. However, I have references in an aircrew log book to the pilot of an Avro York based at RAF Merryfield in May/June 1946 being Sqd Ldr Hammond DSO DFC + Bar. I know that Derek Harold Hammond had those awards but I dont know about H J Hammond.

Thanks

The only H J Hammond I can find is Plt Off Harold James Hammond RNZAF (NZ424458) of 102 Squadron Bomber Command who was awarded the DFC in April 1945. Do you know if that is him?

Thanks

I think a crewman making up his logbook would be unlikely to confuse a guy with a DSO & DFC with one with 'only' a single DFC!

The squadron Form 541 would probably clinch it and Hammond is also likely to featurein the Form 540 as well.

You could always PM Errol Martyn, he's the man who knows more about the RNZAF than the rest of us put together.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Greetings,
    I am sure Errol will get back with an ananswer for you, perhaps he is resting after returning all his books to their selves following the quake aftershocks in Chrischurch!
    Cheers,
    Digger (Another old Pommy 'Old Duffer')

Thanks

I have now had a reply from Errol - unfortunately he does not know the answer.

David

Thanks

Default D H Hammond

Hammond Derek Harold DSO, DFC and Bar NZ 401493 & 133396W/Cdr was the "beaufighter guy" - CO of 489 Torpedo Bomer Squadron at the end of WW2> He receivd his first DFC when flying with 272 Squadron RAF

Thanks

Default D h hammond

Thanks to all for replies. My father was a WOP with 242 Squadron based at Merryfield in April/May 1945. According to his log book between 25 April and 7 May he was flying in York MW332 on radio/nav route checks to India. He names the pilot as 'S/Ldr Hammond DSO, DFC + bar'.

The Squadron's operational record book does not refer to these flights, or to a/c MW332, or S/Ldr Hammond or my father. I can understand that there is no reference to MW332 as it was an aircraft picked up on route at RAF Elmas when the York they set out in had engine failure. My guess at the reason for the lack of the other information in the ORB was that the crew may have been Transport Command staff working with but not part of 242 Squadron.

The problem is that none of this answers my question about Hammond.

Thanks

H J Hammond was a Navigator, enlisted in NZ 2/5/42 as an A/P u/t,, embarked for Canada 31/10/42, to 6 SFTS, Dunville 6/12, to KTS Trenton 6/1/43 after being terminated from flying training and remustered as navigator on 22/3/43, graduated as Sgt A/Nav 3/9/43, disemb UK 16/10/43, further training with 10 (O) AFU, 21 OTU, posted to 102 Squadron 9/7/44, reposted to squadron as officer (P/O) 7/9/44, to 42 Base 25/3/45, to 77 Squadron 20/7/45, arrived at AC SEA (India) 30/9/45 (possibly served with AHQ, India), disembarked NZ 15/4/47 ex UK, served with 41 (Transport) Sqdn, RNZAF Dec 47 - Sept 48, until returned to UK for duty on Berlin Air Lift with 24 (Commonwealth) Squadron September 1948 - Sptember 1949, later transferred to Secretarial Branch from GD Branch 1952, etc. Thus there would be little possibility of H J Hammond being an aircraft captain in 1945/46, although there were a few cases where navigators were in fact appointed captains in the RAF.
    David D