Thread: A week on the Ilse of Man at No. 5 Air Observer School

Thanks

Default A week on the Ilse of Man at No. 5 Air Observer School

Can anyone tell me why a bomb aimer, F.Sgt. Victor Wintzer, RCAF, would spend a week at an observers' school just before he was assigned to No. 419 Sqn? He left 1659 HCU for RAF Jurby on the Isle of Man and was attached to No. 5 AOS from 15 Jun 1943 to 21 Jun, when he arrived at Moose Sqn, presumably to rejoin his crew.

There was some confusion in the newspaper report about his loss as it said he was a navigator. His family obviously thought that's what he was doing but his service file clearly says he had earned his bomb aimer's badge and that's how he is listed in the official reports of the loss of Halifax JD270 on 30 Aug/1 Sep 1943.

His record also says he spent time at No. 2 KTS, in Trenton, Ontario. What was a composite school?
    David

Thanks

This old thread may help a bit

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9449-Difference-between-Air-Observer-School-and-Air-Naviation-School

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder of my own thread Amrit - I didn't think to look back on it. I was mainly wondering what a one-week stay at RAF Jurby was all about so I just fired off the question.

Was it some kind of special update course on something?
    David

Thanks

The RCAF composite Schools mostly trained and evaluated civilian staff and aircrew returning from the UK for eventual duty in staff positions or as instructors at BCATP schools (instructor candidates would go on to an FIS). I have also seen a few cases that appear to be people sent to the K Schools (there was also one at Rockcliffe and one in Toronto somewhere at various times) when their regular training was interupted by illness or injury. I suspect the K schools also could have been "parking lots", for when a person had completed one phase but there were no immediate openings in the next phase. It was OK to send an AC2 or even an LAC to anywhere for square bashing, but a Sgt. would need something better.

Again speaking very generally, I have seen a few cases of Canadian trained persons going to UK schools for brief periods of time to get specific training in equipment or techniques not yet taught in the BCATP schools.