Thread: LT F.M FISHER USAAF Died 105 Sqn 29/9/43 ?

Thanks

Default LT F.M FISHER USAAF Died 105 Sqn 29/9/43 ?

Hi,

I'm trying to find out when 0-885987 1 Lt Forrest Martin FISHER USAAF died. He was pilot of Mosquito LR506 105 Sqn which crashed 29/9/43 near West Raynham airfield Norfolk.

His navigator P/O Leslie HOGAN D.F.M R.A.F died in the crash. England death Registry Fakenham Oct. Nov, Dec 1943.

I have one source which has Fisher dying in this crash.(I can't find him listed ) I do know Fisher died during WW2 with the USAAF, I am just wondering if anyone can confirm his date of death.

TIA

Mark

Thanks

He was from Lewiston in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania

Checking

http://media.nara.gov/media/images/29/18/29-1705a.gif

Fisher Forrest M Jr O-885987 1 LT DNB

Shows he did die during WW2 but is down as "Died Non Battle" but I am unsure if this include Died of Wounds

He got a UK DFC in the Summer of 1943 for a Raid in May 1943 on Jena

He died before Jun 13, 1944

As New York Time has a headlined "

BRITISH TO HONOR AMERICAN FIGHTERS; Lord Halifax to Present ..."

Forrest AI. Fisher, (deceased), USAAF, (formerly flying officer, RAF Volunteer Reserve)-Distinguished Flying Cross, to be presented to his mother, Airs.
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 4th April 2011 at 16:16.

Thanks

Fisher did die in that crash according to the 105 squadron ORB. LR 506 was one of three Mosquitos from 105 that were detailed to attack Bochum on Sept.29/43, taking off at 18:59 and crashing at 22:10 on the return trip. Fisher makes the transition from Flying Officer to Lt. between July 14 and Aug. 22 when he was being trained on Oboe as 105 was then being converted over to Oboe marking duties with the PFF. There is a report here: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=20197
    Citations for the DFC for Fisher and DFM for Hogan for the Jena raid of May 27/43 are here: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36059/supplements/2769/page.pdf
    Regards
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 4th April 2011 at 18:44.

Thanks

Very interesting indeed! I have heard that Americans serving within the airforces of other countries (RAF or RCAF) did not receive reconition within their country for their service within the war. I know one individual in particular who was rather slighted by this and felt a greater affinity with both the RAF and RCAF compatriots than those from his own country. He also was awarded a DFC for his combat service. He served as USAAF but attached to a Bomber Command Squadron. His decision to move to the USAAF was largely because of the greater salary. Upon completing his tour on ops, he was claimed by the USAAF.

Jim

Thanks

My understanding is that the Americans that were serving with thr RCAF & RAF were threatened with loss of citizenship by the US Government if they did not change to US Forces. The Rear Gunner on my father's Stirling crew was made to change from his RCAF uniform to a US uniform (and pay) also in July 1943. He stayed with the crew until the end of their tour, was posted to an RAF OTU for the normal rest period and then flew B-17s with the USAAF. He really didn't have much of a choice.
    Regards
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Thanks everybody, well done.

I do believe he died in the crash, especially if the ORB has confirmed this.

One main query is why does the English death registry seem to list some USAAF personnel and not others. I checked four (RAF) USAAF casualities died in England 1943-44 and only two were listed.

Any theories.

Thanks again

Mark