Thread: Unit locations and roles

Thanks

Default Unit locations and roles

I am currently working through the service record of a chap killed in 1943 and would be grateful if any one can shed any light on the following units (roles/locations etc):

HQ 3 Base Area Mar 40
    30 Wing (A) Apr 41
    AA Flt Grangemouth Aug 41
    AA Flt Castle Kennedy Jan 42
    1 GDGS Feb 42
    9 (o) AFU Mar 43

Thanks

Thanks

Daz

According to Action Stations at this time Grangemouth was occupied by 58 OTU and Castle Kennedy by 3 AGS.

Thanks

9 (o) AFU Penrhos flying mianly Ansons but some Blenheims till June 1943 & Lysanders until December 1943. (Sturtivant - Support Units)

Thanks

John thanks for the info, do you know what the (o) signifies after the 9 and secondly what the AA Flt indicates? Is it anti aircraft?
    He goes to 9(o) AFU after he completes his training at 14 ITW and before he goes to 20 OTU and doesn't get promoted to Sgt until he arrives at 20 OTU. He is only at the AFU for 7 days and then spends just over 3 months at the OTU.

regards

Daz

Thanks

Hello,

Daz, the O in the brackets stands for "Observer", to differenriate them from the '(P)A.F.U.', which were the (Pilots) Advanced Flying Unit.

AA usually stands for Anti Aircraft indeed.

What was his trade when he was lost in 1943 ? navigator, bomb aimer, or wireless operator may be ?

There should be a school after ITW and before the AFU. Something like a Bombing & Gunnery School, Air Navigation School, Signal/Radio School. This is where he would have gained his wings and his promotion to Sergeant.

I'm puzzled by GDGS and I'm away from my copy of R.A.F. Flying Training and Support Units, which would probably tell what it was.

Joss

Thanks

GDGS = No 1 Ground Defence Gunners School, Ronaldsway

Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Daz,
    My father was at 9(o)A.F.U Penrhos and did his final training in signals and gunnery having arrived there from MacDonald, Manitoba in Canada where he had gained his Sgt's stripes and qualified as an W/Op/Ag. Was at Penrhos 19/5/42 to 8/6/42 before going to 21OTU at Moreton in Marsh. He flew in Ansons, Blenheims and Defiants whilst there completing further training in his trade as W/Op.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Joss, Ian and Rob

thank you all for replying. The chap in question was an Air Gunner when he was shot down. There is no school shown in the extract I have from his service record and no list of any trade that he initially trained in after enlisting in 1939. I wonder if he was signals in a ground role or if he flew with 98 Sqn as a AC1/AC2/LAC in the early stages of the war before formally volunteering for aircrew later.

I have written back to the RAF to see if they will tell me his civilian employment before enlistment and what trade he was before going through the aircrew selection process. He served with 98 Sqn in France and Iceland and then moved to 30 Wing (A) before returning to 98 Sqn and then moving to 58 OTU. He then goes to the AA Flt at Grangemouth, then Castle Kennedy before moving to 1 GDGS, but he is only there for 2 days before he goes back to Castle Kennedy. Nine months later he goes to Abbey Lodge then two weeks later moves to 14 ITW where he stays for 4 months before moving to 9 (o) AFU where he spends a month and a half before moving to 20 OTU. The reason for moving to 20 OTU is shown as HHH but I have no idea what this means. He spends just over 3 months at 20 OTU before he joins 78 Sqn. There is no mention of him going to a HCU which I find strange.

Thanks again

Daz