Thread: CWGC NoK Errors

Thanks

Default CWGC NoK Errors

Dear All,
    I have been staring at a computer screen for many hours in the last couple of days becoming more and more confused (and irritated!). We (in the Met Team) are re-checking some of the so-called facts of the Casualties on the Met Office WW2 Roll of Honour. I want to take this one stage at a time in order not cause nugatory effort.
    My initial question is quite simple; Have there been instances, on the CWGC on-line database, of factual errors in the recording of the Casualty's NoK? As I understand it CWGC contacted the NoK of Casualties (as stated on the Cas's Docs) and asked for details. If there was no reply then that accounts for the gaps in some of the fields of some of the records.
    If the answer is a thundering "No" then I'll go back to the drawing board (or computer screen!). If "Yes" then I think I've found one.
    The subject is:- 753651 (A/)Cpl Percy William Henry Short (RAFVR, Met Branch), died 22 Jun 1941, aged 33, whilst serving as a Met Assistant on board the SS Arakaka (acting as a Weather Ship), which was torpedoed by U-77 at c. 47N 40W.
    I have a possible path of Percy's life from Birth to Death. It is not the same as that recorded by CWGC as his NoK. Before I go to CWGC, and make a fool of myself, can someone (with time on their hands!) have a go and see if they come up with the same path as I do!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 7th April 2011 at 15:38.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

rather than searching the BMD's i've just searched Ancestry.co.uk family trees and have come up with a family tree which contains a great deal of info on him, including photos and documents. Do you want me to send them an email for you??

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

Tom, Hi,
    I would be most grateful if would do that. Yr interest much appeciated!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

It depends exactly what information you are looking at. If you mean parents, parents are not necessarily the airmans next of kin. This can be for a variety of reasons, parents death, family falling out, illigitimate children etc. I know of one well known Dambuster for example whose parents died when he was small. As such he was adopted by an Uncle and Aunt, and took their name, but although listed as next of kin, were not his parents.

Thanks

Another thing that's worth pondering, particularly where the casualty was married is that by the time the listed NoK was contacted for the register information they could have re-married and moved away from the area of the original marriage.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Peter
    I had a puzzling CWGC entry for one RAF airman's N of K [who were his mother and stepfather] .
    He crashed in Denmark in marshy, wet ground but is commemorated at Runnymede as as the plane is still the marsh .
    His mother is shown with the married name of her first marriage and the stepfather's different surname name is also shown .The mother married the airman's stepfather a long time before the airman died so would have had the stepfather's surname .
    I was looking for the family to let them know of a commemoration for the crew and it took some working out but I got there in the end.

Anne

Thanks

Tom (particularly), and all others.
    Many tks yr replies and inputs.
    Pse be aware that we (the Met Team) have made contact with a rellie of one of our Casualties! She is of advanced years - but is hale and hearty. She is 'gobsmacked' (although that is, possibly, not the word she would have used!) to find that people are interested in her WW2 rellies!
    Ross, if ever you need a reason to continue this Forum then you only have to talk to this lady!
    We (the Met Team) just have to find the details - not easy!! But we will try!
    Tks again
    Peter Davies