Thread: Mosquito Duisburg 31/7/1942

Thanks

Default Mosquito Duisburg 31/7/1942

According to the Bomber Command Campaign Diary, a Mosquito bombed the Duisburg docks area on 31st July 1942. Does anyone have any information on this raid please, especially the likely bomb load and the time they were dropped?

Thanks

The 105 Squadron sent one aircraft to Duisburg that day. The ORB Form 541 for that day is of poor quality, here is what I think is says:
    "31st July Mosquito DK.312 - S/Ldr Collings R.N. P/O May W. - DUISBURG [Up] 13.28 [Down] 15.50 (very faint - could be 15.40) Duisburg successfully bombed and photographed from 21,000 ft."
    No mention of bomb loads appear in the ORB in this period, I believe the standard load used was 4 X 250 lb. Also no time on the release but likey between 14.30 and 14.45.
    Regards
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 7th April 2011 at 19:42.

Thanks

Thanks David. I've Just looked DK312 up and it crashed the following day on return to Horsham St Faith.

Do you know if the Mosquito carried any incendiaries or was it just 4 x high explosive bombs at that time?

Steve

Thanks

I think there is a slight slip of the fingers. The pilot's name was Collins..no 'G'

Sadly, neither aircraft or the crew were to survive much longer. The aircraft crashed the next day, with a different crew. Collins and May were killed almost exactly a month later.

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Squinting at the ORB, Armit is correct on the spelling for Collins. I went through the ORB and the first mention of bomb loads is in Dec./42 when they specify some aircraft as having 4 X 500 lb. loads, some are time delay HC and some are GP. I think the load is assumed to be 4 x 250 unless specified otherwise. I have not seen any references to incendiaries in the ORB.
    Dave