Thread: Balluta Buildings, Malta

Thanks

Default Balluta Buildings, Malta

Firstly, does anyone know if David Gunby is ok? I made contact with him earlier in the year with regard to his book on the history of 40 Squadron, 'Sweeping the Skies'. Then there was the earthquake in Christchurch and although I heard from him afterwards saying he was ok, I have since had no response to some emails I have sent.

The other reason for this post is to ask if anyone has information about Balluta Buildings in Malta, during WW2.

My father was in 40 squadron. I have a photo of Sgt Dobbie's crew, which included my father, on the roof of Balluta Buildings. This was taken in January 1943.

In David's book he states that after an initial fairly long stint in Malta, that 40 squadron were based fairly briefly again in Malta at the end of 1942. This is confirmed by my father's logbook, where he records Malta as his base from November 1942 until February 1943. However in David's book, there is no mention of Balluta Buildings. Btw, I realise that David wrote his book in 1995 and research in those days didn't have the power of the internet to help.

As children my father took us to Malta for holidays in 1966 and 1967. During one of these holidays my father made a small trip to find Balluta Buildings, so it must have meant something to him.

Now I recently visited Malta and the building is given to private apartments. I did manage to get onto the roof of the building where I took a photo of myself on the exact spot where the crew photo was. Now looking at the shadows on the 1943 photo, it would have been before noon, inferring that they may have been there overnight. I also have a photo of my father standing on one of the room balconies, again inferring that he may have been billeted there.

My question is; were crews billeted there or was it some sort of clubhouse?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Balluta Buildings,Malta.

http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Malta%20WWII/1435_Squadron.htm

From a photo on that site, it looks almost certainly a billet rather than a club.Nice looking building.
    Not close to any airfilds but nowhere is far away in Malta. I lived there for a spell as a teenager in Sliema.
    Balluta was close by. The old man has been on a sunny hillside under shady Cypress trees since then.
    Hope the link works. Hal Far is now a refugee camp. Surprised to see it as such but times have changed.
    Christopher

Thanks

Tiny_boy
    David Gunby is OK or was on 16th April when he replied to a question I had asked about partisan hospitals, in the thread Wellington Losses .Started by Alex .

Try going to his profile, in Community then Members list under D and send an email or click on his name in the Wellington losses post

I'm eagerly awaiting his Vol 2 RAF Losses in the Med
    Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 17th April 2011 at 17:19.

Thanks

I am indeed OK, and apologize for any delay in responding to emails. We had a nasty 5.3 aftershock on Saturday evening, but my home sustained no further damage.

I am about to begin negotiations with Ian Allan over Volume Two of BLME, but am facing the possibility that they won't take it on, and Pel an I may have to seek an alternative publisher. Ian Allan's destruction of Midland Publishing changes things radically. I will keep all advised.

David

Thanks

Default Posh Digs

Thanks to all for the replies.
    I think it is fairly safe to assume that Balluta Buildings were used as a billet. They are indeed very grand buildings and my father and the other crew members must have been delighted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Gunby View Post

READ AND COMPLY WITH FORUM QUOTE POLICY

ROSS
    Hi David,

Try Pen & Sword - they have been a good publisher for me.

Tom
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 27th April 2011 at 15:57. Reason: Breach of forum quote use