Thread: No.75 Sqn night 9/10 April 1941

Thanks

Default No.75 Sqn night 9/10 April 1941

Hi,

The Recommendation for the DFM to WOP/AG George Gascoyne, 936622 includes information about the destruction of a Me 110 on the night of 9/10 April 1941 (see The Distinguished Flying Medal Register by Ian Tavender). This claim was shared by Gascoyne as front gunner and the rear gunner with Flt Lt Fletcher as pilot of the aircraft.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me identify the other crew members especially the rear gunner and the aircraft serial number. Any other information about this sortie is of course also welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter,

I had a look through the book on 75 Sqn "Forever Strong" by Norman Franks, there is no mention of the action in the book, nor in the claims for aircraft shot down, but his DFM is mentions as being awarded on the 18 July 1941.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi John,

Thank for the reply. As you mention this claim is no mentioned in “Forever Strong” but Norman Franks admits that the list with claims is not complete. The Recommendation for the DFM plus remarks made by the Station Commander and AOC all included in Tavender´s book must be strong evidence that this claim is correct.

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Peter,
    According to 75 Sqdn ORB, the aircraft was Wellington Ic R1237, crew was F/L P G F Fletcher (captain), P/O A M Hobbs (2nd pilot, NZ), Sgt Mascall (Obs), Sgt Powell (W/Opr), Sgt G Gascoyne (F/G), Sgt M C Fell (R/G) (Other initials unknown). Time up 2030, down 0430. Target, individual targets (unspecified) in Berlin, with 75 Squadron contributing nine aircraft to this operation. Unfortunately at this period of the war, 75 Squadron (or more likely Bomber Command) allocated "raid serials" to each participating aircraft, and all individual aircraft captain reports are recorded under this serial. I say unfortunately because these "serials" are NOT cross-referenced to the participating aircraft in any way, and it is only because of the specific details of the individual reports that we can say with some certainty that "raid serial XRY.347" was F/L Fletcher's R1037. "XRY.347 reports being attacked by cannon fighter over Zuider Zee. He also attacked a Dornier 3 miles off Yuimuden." Incidentally the other 8 aircraft of the squadron were serialled (with XRY prefixes) as 182, 244, 513, 528, 645, 802, 890, 961. Other general comments for this operation include:- The target area was bombed and a number of fires started. One photograph of Templehoff Aerodrome was taken by XRY.645. A/A fire was fairly intense and accurate, and S/Ls were numerous and also accurate. Good weather was experienced. Navigation was by D/R, map reading, astro and W/T. Bomb loads carried by the 75 Sqdn aircraft comprised 250, 500, 1,000 pound bombs, and three flash bombs were carried by XRY.182. Are other forumites familiar with this type of raid serials?
    David D

Thanks

David,
    Thank you for the information. I assume Sgt M C Fell is Martin Costin Fell, RNZAF, NZ402118 (For Your Tomorrow, Vol 3).
    Regards,
    Peter