Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Goodwood' ops? 166 Sqn, Kirmington, early 1944

Thanks

Default 'Goodwood' ops? 166 Sqn, Kirmington, early 1944

Here's one for you folks ...

The 166 Sqn ORB isn't up at Kew - the catalogue says it was 'mislaid when on loan to a government department' (handy!), so I was trying to find out some details of ops carried out by 166 Sqn on particular days via the RAF Kirmington log book. With some success, I was pleased to find.

However in the Kirmington ORB on various dates in early 1944 (the part where I was looking) I came across references to 'Goodwood' operations, and even one reference to a 'Derby' op.

I've never come across these descriptions before. They are NOT to do with Operation Goodwood around Caen just after D-Day, as the ops in question were ones to places like Stuttgart, Munich, Koenigsberg, Leipzig, Berlin and Friedrichshafen. Instead I saw one mention of the term as being related to some sort of "special tactics to be employed".

Anyone come across these terms before and could fill me in on what 'Goodwood' (and 'Derby') operations were?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Thanks

Hi Ian,
    First of all, can i put right what the N/A says about the ORB. It is available on microfilm, it's the original ORB thats gone missing. Now, i have the ORB in my collection and would gladly look it up for you, i can send scans of the relevant pages by email if that would be better. What are the approx dates of the ops concerned.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 11th April 2011 at 06:14.

Thanks

Default Goodwood ops

Hello,

Find the following in the book "On Wings of War" history of 166 Sqn by Jim Wright

Ops Goodwood : 28/02/1944 Munich

Best regards

René

Thanks

Default Goodwood

Goodwood referred to a full strength effort in connection with Bomber command raids long before the codeword was used for the D-Day+ ground offensive.

For example the Plzen Skoda raid was one such.

Peter

Thanks

Default 'Goodwood' ops

Thanks Peter and everyone. Another mystery solved!

(But if that's 'Goodwood' any idea what a 'Derby' op was? And what were the "special tactics involved" have been?)

Alan - TNA does have the ORB(s) on microfilm (and thus presumably the original(s) in safe keeping) for the earlier war years and, I think, the Appendices. It's the ORB for 1944 that's gone walkies. I was looking for it up at Kew on microfilm - see Air 27/1089. The catalogue (both the paper copy on site and the online one) says it's not there as the original book's been mislaid. Unless it's you who's got the original? :-)

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 11th April 2011 at 20:57. Reason: Air 27 reference added

Thanks

Hi Ian,
    I only had my 1944 copy done a few weeks ago, i phoned the copying department before i ordered it, enquiring about what was said online about the 1944 ORB being not available, the person told me not to worry, as they still had the microfilm to copy from, and that it was the original book that was missing. A couple of weeks later, i had my copy through. I will however, ring them first thing this morning just to clarify the situation, and ask them if it's possible to change the wording on the website to indicate that it's the original thats missing, not the microfilm. Will be back later
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 12th April 2011 at 06:17.

Thanks

Default 166 Sqn

Hi Alan

That's very interesting. Pity I took the catalogue at face value and didn't look in the drawer for the microfilm itself!

I think I may have obtained most of the info I was after from the brief entries in the station ORB, but if I find that I'm still missing any would you mind if I sent you a PM request for you to check your copy for me? It would only be a few small details to fill in any gaps, promise!

Thank you in anticipation.

Ian

ps Any idea about those "special tactics" and "Derby" ops - both terms found in the station ORB? I can send you copies of the pics I took of a few of the pages if you want to see the entries.

Thanks

Ian,
    If you want anything from the ORB just ask, if you let me have the dates and i'll have a look
    Alan.

Thanks

Default 166 Sqn

Hi Alan

In view of your kind offer, I wonder if you could please check and confirm the following few small details:

i) 20-21/12/1943 - Target attacked by F/O Stammers in DV406?

ii) 22-23/12/1944 - Target for F/L Barrass in NG115? Also his initials? And what made it necessary for him to land at Woodbridge?

iii) Initials if listed anywhere (often they're not for NCO's) for F/S Booth (at or around 1/3/1944) and F/S Sanderson (at or around 24/3/1944)

Any of those would be great.

Many thanks

Ian

Thanks

Hi Ian,
    DV406...Target for Stammers was Frankfurt, his initial is "W". They were attacked by a ME210 North of the target, it made 3 attacks on them, wounding the rear gunner and damaging the rear turret, rear gunner was unable to return fire as guns were frozen. Mid upper fired twice with no hits observed, a/c landed at Woodbridge.

F/Lt J.M. Barras, NG115, target was Coblenz. Did not land at Woodbridge, are you confusing him for Stammers a/c in my first answer.

F/Sgt J.H. Booth. F/Sgt J.A. Sanderson (NZ.424525)

Regards.....Alan.