Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracing a civilian - appropriateness?

Thanks

Default Tracing a civilian - appropriateness?

I've looking through my grandfather's service record (RAAF spitfire pilot with service in 611 Sqdn and others in UK during late '41 and early '42 and 603/229 Sqdns in Malta during mid/late '42) and have come across some correspondence that is enlightening, if sensitive.

There is a letter from a (presumably) young lady dated April 1942 seeking the whereabouts of my grandfather in order to forward a letter to him. The sensitive aspect is that he was a married man. However, I'm sure this was a common occurence, just as I am sure that the rest of my family is unaware of it.

Still, having never met my grandfather (died 1948), I'd be interested in investigating whether this lady is still alive and, if so, whether she would be willing to discuss those times.

I have a salutation (Miss), initials, surname, and full address with relevant dates and will post them in another message, if appropriate.

My concern is twofold, whether it is relevant to these forums, and whether it is appropriate to seek this kind of assistance from board members?

Cheers

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Adrian,

I don't think it's a wise thing to do - I mean posting her name and address. The material you own, is it relevant for the users of this forum? If so: why not post it in a way the lady is anonymized?

But well, I'm relative new on this forum. Hope one of the veterans will offer his or her opinion.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Adrian,
    Agree with Bart. Definitely no names & addresses on open Forum. If such info absolutely has to be sent then PM, or one-to-one email, is the best way.
    Without (obviously) knowing the details, this one looks - to my rheumy old eyes - like a sleeping dog that should be allowed to lie!
    Pursue (if necessary) via the various Fam Hist Fora.
    That's my two-pennorth. HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Glad I asked before posting! Thanks.
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

I don't see a problem with typing in the FIRST name only, or even the initials and the country where this lass lived but I wouldn't go so far as to putting the address in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    I don't see a problem with typing in the FIRST name only, or even the initials and the country where this lass lived but I wouldn't go so far as to putting the address in.
    But would it serve any purpose? Let sleeping dogs lie would be my advice.
    Max

Thanks

By God, do not be paranoic! Your emails are scanned at every possible moment, not to mention software scanning your computers. You cannot be safe with your cell phones either. How do you think they are able to trace all those terrorists? Quite recently it was discussed here in Poland a software allowing to scan all the city camera stuff in search of particular persons based on look of their faces.
    Concerning the person, why not to post her name, if the one is looking for contact or whereabouts? The address is likely not valid anymore anyway.
    Last edited by Franek Grabowski; 5th March 2008 at 13:01.

Thanks

Adrian,

Just to reinforce your decision not to publish the lady's particulars. The publication of personal information, especially information regarding (possibly) living individuals on a public forum such as this can result in legal consequences never dreamed of by the original poster or for the poor sods who unwittingly respond to that post.

A reminder that every keystroke that you make on this forum never "disappears"; it is stored out there in cyberspace and can be easily retrieved to your disadvantage.

Thanks

Good points all Ken, and I wasn't ignorant of them.

The whole thing is a bit of a wild goose chase, but I won't know if I don't ask. The likelihood of the lady still being alive, bearing the same name, and living at the same address (assuming the address even still exists!) are pretty remote in terms of the risks of a breach of privacy.

One of the board members (with whom I already had an association) has kindly offered to make some initial investigations to see what public information is held on one of the genealogy sites (as Peter Davies recommended earlier in the thread) and this is being handled by e-mail at this time.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks

"One of the board members (with whom I already had an association) has kindly offered to make some initial investigations to see what public information is held on one of the genealogy sites and this is being handled by e-mail at this time."......

and that's the best way of going about it Adrian, not on a public forum such as this one. In my research trying to trace people or their relatives, I've found writing letters to local newspapers in the area where they last were known to be living to be the most productive, though it doesn't always pay off.
    Max