Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bombing Ranges

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Bombing Ranges

By way of an introduction, my name is Peter and I am a member of the Airfield Research Group (ARG). I am currently researching Bombing and Gunnery Ranges in the UK from 1930 to 1960(ish) with a view to publishing a small book on the subject via the ARG.
    I have currently identified over 500 locations, the exact location and layout of many still elude me. Frequent visits to TNA and excellent help from the RAF Museum have given me a lot of information.
    ORB's are the one area that I haven't covered and this is probably a good source of range information but scattered over the hundreds of ORBs of both stations and units and this would obviously take many months (years?) to cover fully. If anyone has any information they have gleaned from ORBs regarding bombing and gunnery ranges I would be very interested, firstly to confirm exisitng information and secondly to supply new information. They key elements are dates used and by whom but target information and even the name used in the ORB could help clear up incorect names.
    I would also try to help with any questions about the subject but as I have only been researching for 18 months I still have a lot to learn.

Peter

Thanks

Welcome Peter!
    I am glad we have new member with good background /I saw already your answers to my posts/ and interesting theme.
    Unfortunately I will be no able to help you much, I know only not so detailed information about ranges used by 311 Squadron - if I remember well for example Langham, in Solway, Lough Neagh...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Peter, Hi,
    Are you just concerned with physical bombing ranges - i.e. places where a lump of iron (either filled with concrete or bang-powder) was dropped from an a/c and, hopefully, hit the centre of the target area on the Range?
    Or do you want to include Radar Bombing targets - i.e. precise locations where the V-Force a/c would "press the tit" and a mobile ground radar 'fixed' the a/c in 3 dimensions. From this, and the known physical trajectory of the weapon, it could be determined whether or not the target had received its 'Bucket Of Sunshine'!!
    I remember that the North-West corner of Barnsley railway station came in for fairly regular 'nuking'!! Some might say 'and well deserved'!!!
    PM, or email, me and I might be able to add some NPC* scuttlebutt about targets in the Training Areas (but post-WW2).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    * = Nefarious Purposes Committee
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I am mainly looking at physical locations but I am steering towards later developments that caused the physical targets to be reduced in number.

Thanks

Default Luce bay bombing range

Hi i have details ,of some bombing trials that took place at the luce bay ranges nr Stranrear In scotland , durinmg ww2 , get back to me if interested
    bw phill jones

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    Otterburn Ranges Northumberland opened c First World War: still in use by the World and his wife judging by the traffic. Also Druridge Bay Range, opened I think late 1930s and used by Acklington APC after the war until c 1961. Range was from the middle of Druridge Bay northwards to Hauxley Point. There was a wooden observation tower at its southern end, demolished c 1961. There still is a building in the dunes, not sure what its for, may be nothing to do with the ranges at all. It has no doors, windows or vents and no signs at all: might be a Tardis!

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Hello,

from the logbook of several airmen of 1 Group I have some practice bombing on Misson, Hamilton Hill and St Tudwal .
    Is it of interest for you ?

Alain.

Thanks

Had a closer look at Kinshaldy on Canmore. There is a possibility that there was a range on the sands NE of Leuchars but may have been closed when the runways were extended in 1942. This would be an inland range of the type found at Kingston and Innes Links. Sadly only likely looking buildings could be seen on the 1941 aerial photos
    and no give away target.

Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter

I live about three miles from the range at Cowden, which I used to visit regularly when in use as a member of the local ATC squadron, about six miles away is the WW2 bombing range at North Frodingham and just up the coast is Skipsea which was used by the APC at Catfoss before WW2.

Malcolm

Thanks

109 Squadron's ORB has many references to crews using the bombing range at Otmoor for practicing Oboe runs from Nov. 43 (where my copy of the ORB begins) through 1944. I suspect that 105 Squadron used the same range but there is no references I could find to that in their ORB.
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace