Thread: The Tank Parliament?

Thanks

Default The Tank Parliament?

Hi guise

I am here to report Google failure again I hope somebody can help with pointers to an explanation of what was the "tank parliament". I know it was a subset of the War Cabinet in 1941 but it may have existed for longer. The Prime Minister, CAS, CIGS etc all attended meetings. I am wondering if it was another term for the Chiefs of Staff Committee which was part of the War Cabinet; it could be that (in 1941) it had a specific anti-invasion focus?

The term is not new to me but I have looked through various general histories I have without success. My interest is to do with the equipment of Army Co-operation Command.

Any help gratefully appreciated

Steve

Thanks

have you tried it in comma's and in Google books, there are a number of returns from Google books?

What context have you herad of it in?

War Diaries 1939-1945 - Page 157
    Field Marshal Lord Alanbrooke, Field Marshal Alanbrooke, Alex Danchev - 2003 - 815 pages -
    13 May Spent morning in the office till 12 noon when I attended second Tank Parliament at 10 Downing St. Beaverbrook took the chair to start with when we discussed maintenance and spare parts. Next item was air co-operation and assembly

The Churchill War Papers: The ever-widening war 1941
    Winston Churchill, Martin Gilbert - 2000 - 1821 pages - Snippet view
    It seemed to him that there was a good case for a mixture of fast and slower tanks 1 This was the first meeting of a Cabinet Committee known as the Tank Parliament. Churchill was in the Chair. The other Ministers present were Lord

Churchill's secret weapons: the story of Hobart's Funnies
    Patrick Delaforce - 1998 - 256 pages - Snippet view
    2 Churchill, Tank Warfare and His 'Tank Parliament' Despite having served as a cavalryman in the 4th Hussars, Winston Churchill showed a deep and expert knowledge of tank (and antitank) weapons throughout the Second World War.

What Churchill Would Do What Churchill Would Do
    Stuart Finlay, Dr Fiona Finlay, MRC - 2010 - 240 pages - Preview
    The outcome of the first tank parliament was the Churchill Tank (what an original name!) which delivered a vast improvement on previous versions, ... British Parliament‟s sat regularly, and the same was the case for the Tank Parliament.

The Tank: Issues 321-341
    1946 - Snippet view
    Listen to this, for instance, about the Tank Parliament, convened by Mr. Churchill. "There was no great difference in our views. Sometimes General X disagreed with us. When that happened he .was not prepared to sink his own views for

Our armoured forces
    Sir Giffard Le Quesne Martel - 1945 - 406 pages - Snippet view
    At the first 'tank parliament' (see Chapter 4), we stressed the importance of having tanks which were 'one step ahead of the enemy in armour and guns'. A little later, the design of the fighting body of the Sherman tank was under

etc etc etc etc
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/UK-Civil-WarProduction/UK-Civil-WarProduction-4.html

At the first Tank Parliament—a name given to a series of conferences on tank production convened in 1941 (115)—it was made clear that the two branches of production clashed in machine tools, gauges, tool-making capacity, and, to a certain extent, skilled labour. It was not until 9th July 1941 that the Production Executive decided to put on record at once for the guidance of departments, committees, etc., that the production of tanks (including spares), 2-pounder and 6-pounder guns and armour-piercing ammunition should be treated as on a footing with the production of articles of

--184--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

which first priority was given under the General Priority Direction of 14th June 1940

Footnote: 115 Under the chairmanship of the Prime Minister and attended by representatives of the supply ministries and the Services
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis

Thanks very much I will get a grip on it one day! Google and me are bit like Rory McIlroy and the 10th Tee at Augusta!

Your first quote is key!

War Diaries 1939-1945 - Page 157
    Field Marshal Lord Alanbrooke, Field Marshal Alanbrooke, Alex Danchev - 2003 - 815 pages -
    13 May Spent morning in the office till 12 noon when I attended second Tank Parliament at 10 Downing St. Beaverbrook took the chair to start with when we discussed maintenance and spare parts. Next item was air co-operation and assembly

It is references to the meeting on 13 May 1941 that I have and air co-operation with the armoured divisions was one of the key issues in developing the role of ACC.

Thanks again I have made a note of your advice

Steve