Thread: WHITLY MK V 4/5th JULY 1941, Convinced it was a German Intruder that shot it down.

Thanks

Default WHITLY MK V 4/5th JULY 1941, Convinced it was a German Intruder that shot it down.

Hi, Researching my relative who was killed whilst on a Night time exercise Night of 4th July 1941 - Very early hours 02.45 hrs of 5th July 1941 Crashed only a few miles from 10 O.T.U. R.A.F. Abingdon, Plane was a Whitley Mk v Bomber Z6667 From 10 O.T.U. Abingdon, Official reports say it broke up in flight and crashed Im sure they tried to crash land it as it was low, The tail section hit a tree and broke off, The plane then went into the ground, but I Was always told it was shot down and through investigations and accounts from a Canadian whom new a crewmember on that flight states it was a German "Sneak raider" [Intruder?], Tracer fire could also be seen by one person and another saw the plane 'Like a burning cross, Im convinced it was shot down by an Intruder.

I Would like to have oppinions on who might have shot the Whitley down?

I Have a possible Suspect INTRUDER for this but would welcome any thoughts, Another possibility is that the Sneak Raider/Intruder was then shot down failling to return home thus no kill was recorded ! Many thanks, Ian.
    Last edited by APOLLO118; 16th April 2011 at 23:09.

Thanks

Tony Woods' list has Heinz Strüning claiming a Wellington at 01.57 German time (no location given), though Simon Parry's Intruders Over Britain doesn't have this claim. This site http://www.luftwaffe.cz/struning.html says the Wellington claim was at Bircham Newton. Latter book also indicates the first loss of a NJG 2 intruder craft this month came on 9 July. British time and German time were apparently the same at this point in the war. Are you positive about the date?
    Last edited by mhuxt; 17th April 2011 at 02:47.

Thanks

Hi, Yes date is correct, My research seems to point to Heinz Struning as a good possibiliy.