Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito's 27/28th Nov 44

Thanks

Default Mosquito's 27/28th Nov 44

Hi,
    Would anyone happen to know which Mosquito squadrons were involved in the minor operations of this night please.
    TIA...Alan.

Thanks

I have two Mosquito XVIs from 109 Squadron being sent to Nuremberg doing precision bombing using 4000 lb. HC cookies, 105 Squadron also sent 3 aircraft, also with loaded with cookies. Only one of the five had a successful Oboe attack, the others bombed on dead reckoning.
    109 & 105 also each sent one Mosquito to Mannheim doing "spoof attacks", each loaded with 2 red TIs and 4 X 500 lb. MC bombs, dropped from 28,000'.
    109 sent two Mosquitos & 105 sent 5 Mosquitos for precision bombing attacks on Hallendorf, again using 4000 lb. HC cookies. One of the 109 aircraft had a successful Oboe run and bombed from 32,000' while the other had an Oboe equipment failure and bombed on dead reckoning. One of the 105 aircraft bombed successfully using Oboe and the other 4 bombed the last resort target using dead reckoning.
    Regards
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 14th April 2011 at 17:22.

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the quick and informative reply, it's very much appreciated.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan,

29 Squadron flew 12 'Flowers' from Hunsdon on that night. 2 were aborted, one locomotive and one MT destroyed.

Jim.

Thanks

Thanks Jim,
    A little bit more information to work on.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan
    Looks like some of the squadrons involved in the Berlin attack were 692, 162 & 128. I was poking around on the RCAF Honours and awards pages and they show men from those squadrons on that raid.
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    Thanks once again.....
    Alan.

Thanks

Hello Alan,

Mosquito HR353 of 464 squadron RAAF crashed near my hometown Zwolle at 21.35 nov. 27, 1944. Both crewmembers F/O William Alexander Greenshields RAAF and F/O Edward Harry Norman were killed.
    The mosquito was on a mission to attack railway targets and other German targets. There were shot down by flak.

Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for that, for a moment, i thought i had found the a/c i was looking for, but the time does not match.
    I'm trying to work out a likely candidate, who looks as though he ditched a couple of bombs which unfortunatley hit a farmhouse, killing two occupants, this is for someone in Holland.
    The incident happened at approx 02.30hrs 28/11/44, local time. I think the force to Neuss and Freiburg can be ruled out, as they were probably back at base long before this time, which is why i'm looking at the minor operations of this night.

Thanks

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for that, for a moment, i thought i may have had found a possible a/c i am looking for, but the time does not match.
    I'm trying to work out a likely candidate, who looks as though he ditched a couple of bombs which unfortunatley hit a farmhouse in the Hardenburg district, killing two occupants, this is for someone in Holland.
    The incident happened at approx 02.30hrs 28/11/44, local time. I think the force to Neuss and Freiburg can be ruled out, as they were probably back at base long before this time, which is why i'm looking at the minor operations of this night.