Thread: War Deaths Indices, Genes Reunited

Thanks

Default War Deaths Indices, Genes Reunited

Hi,

Not sure what you get when you pay but I have just had this message from Genes Reunited:
    Did your Grandfather fight and die for his country?

We've just launched WW1 and WW2 death records for England and Wales. It's likely to be an emotional journey as you start uncovering how your veteran ancestors met their fate, whether it was whilst fighting in the trenches or flying a Spitfire during WW2.

Presumably all you get is a view of the Death Indices, not sure how this lot compare with others as regards price.

Regards,

Ann

Thanks

Hi Ann
    It doesn't look promising, I just entered 1/2 Doz names from one of Henks lists and didn't get a single hit.I can't be sure but I rather suspect that they haven't researched any lists themselves but are relying on members to fill them from their own Family Histories. I hope I'm wrong but this board gives far better prospects,it seems to me.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Ann, i decided to try it out to see if it was any good. What it seems to be is a list of overseas deaths. I have tried searching at least 20 names i have for RAF casualties in this country and have come back with no results. I tried out the names of two men killed overseas and both came up! I have also tried this with Army personnel that were killed in Shropshire and get no hits (yet i get hits for soldiers buried in France) So if your casualties are in this country, don't bother with it! If your casualties are overseas then it does give training units and non operational units. For example:

LAC Glyndwr Arthur Williams (412301), buried in Tel El Kibir Cemetery. CWGC gives no unit. The death indices on GR gives his unit as HQ 205 Group.

Hope that helps you!

Tom

Ps the other thing is that 5 buys you 50 credits. This does not mean you get to view fifty records. Instead each time you view a record it eats up three credits. A bit naughty i think!

Thanks

Default War Death Indices

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, I thought it worth posting the info in case it would be of any use to anyone. Personally I have used Brighton Library for some of the death indices and I think all Record Offices and quite a few of the bigger libraries hold these on microfilm with no need to pay. I also have had Ancestry membership (lapsed at the moment due to post Christmas financial ruin) and I have found that they are a useful source of the details needed in order to order a death cert. Not sure if they hold the Services Death Indices for here and abroad as I haven't used them for a while. However, ifyou are doing a lot of look ups of BMDs, I think their rates are fairly good value.

Regards,

Ann