Thread: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

Thanks

Default Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

Hi All,

I am trying to find out the fate of a Sgt McIntyre who briefly flew with 103 Squadron in January 1944 and was then transfered to 166 Squadron . He flew 7 sorties up to the 25th of February 1944, last one to Augsburg and then I lose track of him. Does anyone have access to the ORB's???
    He was scheduled to fly two Ops to Berlin 5/6 6/7 Jan 44 with 103 Sqd, but failed to take off, then gets transfered to 166. he then returns early several times while with 166 Squadron, could it be he was demoted? I can't find any indication of him being KIA.

Thanks for any help, Kind Regards,

Chris

Thanks

Chris,
    I shall have a look through the ORB to see if there's anything interesting.
    What dates do you have for the 7 ops, as i can only find 5 from when he was posted in on 14th Jan, through to 24th Feb, Augsburg, of the 5, he abandoned 2.
    Last edited by AlanW; 20th April 2011 at 18:55.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

I know from the 103 Sqd ORB's that he was rosterred for two Ops to Berlin (1/2nd and 2/3rd January), but didn't take off. One time because he bogged his plane, second time doesn't mention the reason. He was then transfered to 166 in the beginning of January with his crew (don't actually know if his entire crew went.) I have him down on the following Ops:

20/1/44 Ops Brunswick Lanc "R"
    21/1/44 Ops Magdeburg Lanc "R" DNCO
    15/2/44 Ops Berlin Lanc "Z" DNCO
    24/2/44 Ops Schweinfurt Lanc "W"
    25/2/44 Ops Ausburg Lanc "W"

And then I cant find any more entries with 166 SQD. Would you be able to see if he did any more Operations after this date???

The crew he was rosterred with at 103 Squadron was:

Sgt P.J. McIntyre
    Sgt E.N. Whitfield
    Sgt D. Lindsay
    Sgt A.W. Gowland
    Sgt. C.J.D. Baldwin
    Sgt A.C. Trotter
    Sgt. P. Harris

Kind Regards,

Chris
    Last edited by goofy; 22nd April 2011 at 20:04. Reason: adding more info

Thanks

Chris,
    He was posted into 166 with his crew, on 14th January. He only did the ops you have listed. He abandoned the Magdeburg trip because of a late take off and could'nt make up lost time. The Berlin trip on 15th was abandoned along with 3 other a/c, but the three others had reasons given in the comments section, no reason for his abandoning given, but taken off flying duties at this time. No further trips after Augsburg on 25th.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 22nd April 2011 at 20:51.

Thanks

Default Sgt P J McIntyre

Hello folks,

Seems the crew were re-mustered at Kirmington. A quick look found that at least two of them perished with 166 Squadron the following month;

Sgt A W Gowland 27/3/44 Lancaster LL749 Op: Essen
    Sgt E N Whitfield 31/3/44 Lancaster ME638 Op: Nurnberg

Regards,
    Dave.

Thanks

Default Sgt E N Whitfield died 31/3/44 ME638 Op Nuremburg

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Chris,
    He was posted into 166 with his crew, on 14th January. He only did the ops you have listed. He abandoned the Magdeburg trip because of a late take off and could'nt make up lost time. The Berlin trip on 15th was abandoned along with 3 other a/c, but the three others had reasons given in the comments section, no reason for his abandoning given, but taken off flying duties at this time. No further trips after Augsburg on 25th.
    Alan.
    Hi Alan, my uncle, Eric Norman Whitfield is mentioned in this forum link. I am writing a book about my dad's wartime experience as an evacuee, and the inclusion of his brother Eric's story to run alongside has become compelling. I have Eric's basic war and casualty records but am seeking further details on his missions etc. Can you advise / help? I am reading John Nichol's The Red Line and have just seen a section about his final flight. He was the stand-in flight engineer. I am also intrigued by pilot McIntyre in this thread, with whom Eric was rostered. I see he was taken off flying duties after a number of aborted missions. Is there any info as to why? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Chris Whitfield

Thanks

Chris,
    Can you pm your email address to me please.
    Alan

Thanks

Lindsay Tour expired on 166 with another crew and got the DFC in Nov 44. Trotter (the WOP) was posted out in August 44, again probably Tour expired with another crew. Baldwin didn't come to 166 Squadron. I presume he was a gunner. On 166 he was replaced by Harris who was killed alongside Gowland on the Essen raid mentioned with the Perry crew (ironically replacing that particular crew's original Gunner who was also called Harris who had been wounded in an earlier op when the Rear Gunner was killed by a night fighter)

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    I shall be sending a whole section of the 166sqdn ORB to you, which covers the period for the time your uncle was with them. Have also found a bit more on what happened to McIntyre, which i'll send as well.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

My uncle was Seargent E N Whitfield who was in PJ McIntyre's crew. I am writing about my dad's wartime experiences as an evacuee, which has evolved to include the story of his brother Eric and his time in Bomber Command. From the thread I see you were looking for more information about Eric's pilot PJ McIntyre who was taken off flying operations. Did you find out anymore about the circumstances of this and what subsequently happened.

Many Thanks

Chris Whitfield