Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Surrey / Lincolnshire
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Hi All

    I'm a newbie here and reviving and old thread, I know, but I'm wondering if Sgt P.J. McIntyre is the same person as F/O P.J.M. McIntyre 149949 GD(P), who later served with No.106 Squadron and was posted to No.1690 B(D)TF on 17/06/45 and was promoted to F/L before leaving the RAF?

    I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who might be able to help me answer this question. Thanks in advance, Andrew.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,947
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Andrew, welcome to the forum.

    Peter John Martin McIntyre
    906245 in TNA AIR 78/107/09 Image 111 R4C1
    30th July 1943 906245 Sgt Peter John Martin MC!NTYRE Cmd Plt Off(p) RAFVR GD (149949).
    Same man.

    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    74
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Chris, re access to the 166 squadron ORB's, did you know that anyone can veiw the ORB's via your pc, even if you are not a registered reader ? Go into NA, find the ORBs via the discovery search, the month/year, details, and you will see a link 'preveiw an image of this record', you wil see the ORB with a watermark, make it full page and you can zoom in/out move it around but you can read 99% of whats on the page. If I figure out how to attach an image I woulld have shown you that page.

    Seems like three Lancs returned on the 15th, one because the navigator got it wrong and arrived late to the rendesvous point, another because the rear gunner's oxygen wasn't working, and your McIntyre returned after 15 minutes and was taken off flying duties. Not a good show.
    There is very good 166 Squadron book, 'On Wings of War - Jim Wright', which I have if I can reference anything for you.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Surrey / Lincolnshire
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Hi Peter

    Thank you for your helpful reply, although I'm not entirely sure that I understand it - sorry! I have got into AIR 78/107/09 and can see Image 111, but don't understand what R4C1 means or how you have used this archive to link the service numbers 906245 and 149949. Also, I also don't understand what HTH means in front of your signature. I'm really not doing very well, am I?

    Thanks again

    Andrew

    Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Andrew, welcome to the forum.

    Peter John Martin McIntyre
    906245 in TNA AIR 78/107/09 Image 111 R4C1
    30th July 1943 906245 Sgt Peter John Martin MC!NTYRE Cmd Plt Off(p) RAFVR GD (149949).
    Same man.

    HTH
    Peter Davies

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Shepperton
    Posts
    778
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Hi Andrew
    Our Peter does sometimes like his abbreviations. ; )
    I haven't looked at the image you refer to. Might R4C1 be Row 4 and Column 1 on there?
    And HTH will just be "Hope this helps".

    Don't worry, you'll get used to us!
    : )
    Good luck with your research.
    Ian

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aubers, France
    Posts
    2,430
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Hello

    And the two service numbers mentioned by Peter are the non commissionned Officer number, and the officer number. In the R.A.F., one was given a new service number with an officer's commission. You usually find both in the London Gazette entry confirming the officer's commission, from NCO / other ranks. It's useful to check if it's the same airman.

    Joss

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Surrey / Lincolnshire
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Hi Andrew
    Our Peter does sometimes like his abbreviations. ; )
    I haven't looked at the image you refer to. Might R4C1 be Row 4 and Column 1 on there?
    And HTH will just be "Hope this helps".

    Don't worry, you'll get used to us!
    : )
    Good luck with your research.
    Ian
    Hi Ian

    Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and for your help. What you've said all makes perfect sense and your R4C1 suggestion is correct. What I still don't understand though, is how Peter has used this archive to link the service numbers 906245 and 149949 but, although I have used the NA (intermittently) for a long time, I am still learning how to use them.

    Thanks again

    Andrew
    Researching the History of No.1690 B(D)TF

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aubers, France
    Posts
    2,430
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    hello

    See # 16. In the London Gazette.

    Joss

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,947
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Andrew (et al)
    TNA AIR 78/107/9 Image 111 Row 4 Column 1 tells us that a Peter John Martin McIntyre was a non-Officer in the RAF with the Service Number of 906245. On that image there are some others who’s Forename initials would be P J, but they have different Numbers. However, if you go to The London Gazette and search for 906245 you will get https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4181. Halfway down the left column of that page you will see 30th July 1943. On that day/date 5 Sgts were Commissioned Plt Officers in the RAFVR GD Branch. One of them was Peter John Martin McIntyre. On the left of his full names is a number, 906245, not in parenthesis. This is his Sgt’s number – which we have checked in AIR 78 as being his. On the right of his full names is a number, (149949), in parenthesis. This is his new Officer’s Number which he will use from the date of his Commissioning. That is how the connection is made. The numbers and dates, etc, all fit with the data you had. Except his Forename initials! You will see that in various documents sometimes there are no Forename initials, sometimes only one (of two, or more), and sometimes all of them where there are more than two. There is – as far as I know – no laid down rules for this. It had changed when I became an RAF OR (Other Rank) a decade later. I was known as ‘DAVIES 248’ – the numbers being the Last Three of my Service Number.
    I’m sorry about the shortened forms that I tend to use. But old habits die hard!!! And texting (and the shortened forms used in it) is not new! We were using it in the mid-1950’s on morse and/or radiotelephone Airmove circuits.
    Hope I’ve explained properly!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Surrey / Lincolnshire
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Sgt McIntyre 166 Squadron jan/feb 1944

    Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Andrew (et al)
    TNA AIR 78/107/9 Image 111 Row 4 Column 1 tells us that a Peter John Martin McIntyre was a non-Officer in the RAF with the Service Number of 906245. On that image there are some others who’s Forename initials would be P J, but they have different Numbers. However, if you go to The London Gazette and search for 906245 you will get https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4181. Halfway down the left column of that page you will see 30th July 1943. On that day/date 5 Sgts were Commissioned Plt Officers in the RAFVR GD Branch. One of them was Peter John Martin McIntyre. On the left of his full names is a number, 906245, not in parenthesis. This is his Sgt’s number – which we have checked in AIR 78 as being his. On the right of his full names is a number, (149949), in parenthesis. This is his new Officer’s Number which he will use from the date of his Commissioning. That is how the connection is made. The numbers and dates, etc, all fit with the data you had. Except his Forename initials! You will see that in various documents sometimes there are no Forename initials, sometimes only one (of two, or more), and sometimes all of them where there are more than two. There is – as far as I know – no laid down rules for this. It had changed when I became an RAF OR (Other Rank) a decade later. I was known as ‘DAVIES 248’ – the numbers being the Last Three of my Service Number.
    I’m sorry about the shortened forms that I tend to use. But old habits die hard!!! And texting (and the shortened forms used in it) is not new! We were using it in the mid-1950’s on morse and/or radiotelephone Airmove circuits.
    Hope I’ve explained properly!
    Peter Davies
    Excellent Peter, thank you so much. It took me a while to get there but I can now see what you've done. Absolutely delighted, and thank you so much. Now trying to find the first names of four Canadians and a Rhodesian, but your tips will help me with these two. Cheers and thanks again, Andrew

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •