Thread: Can you help with information about 424 Sqdn. ?

Thanks

Default Can you help with information about 424 Sqdn. ?

Hi There,

Interested to know more about:

29th/30th Jan 1943.. Wellington Bomber BK436, crashed after ops to Lorient.

10th/11th April 1943..Wellington Bomber HE159, crashed after ops to Frankfurt.

Wondering also if anyone would know where to get a photograph of this type of Wellington Bomber.

Any and all help most appreciated.

Cheers.

Thanks

For HE159, have you found and read the following links?

http://www.thecontactnewspaper.cfbtrenton.com/archives/2003/07_June_2003/jun_06_2003/thecontact_jun_06_2003.pdf
    The above has a full page article on a crash memorial for this aircraft.

http://www.6grouprcaf.com/April43/April10~11.html

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/war-air/34612-bail-out-info.html
    You raised this thread.

Are you looking for photos of these two specific aircraft or for the Wellington in general. Photos of the specific aircraft might not exit and there are plenty of photos of the Wellington in general on the internet.

Based on what you know already you shoudl contact the Canadian archvies and obtian extracts from the services records of the RCAF men involved
    Details on how to do this are on this page:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Neale
    These incidents both involved substantially the same crew,and both carried the Sqn i.d. QB-P,with the 2nd one clearly being a replacement for the first
    BK436 was a Wellington III and on the return from Lorient suffered a failure of it's radio and ran out of fuel. The a/c was abandonned over Wiltshire and the crew survived.The a/c came down at Winterslow, 4mls ENE of Salisbury.the crew were:-
    Sgt R N Buie,RCAF,pilot, P/O K C E Wade,pilot,both of whom were injured, Sgt L K Taylor,RCAF,Nav,Sgt R B Cook,W/op, Sgt A G Lees,RCAF,A/G Sgt H L Davis, A/G
    HE652 was a Wellington X, and experienced severe engine problems on the outbound leg to Frankfurt,with the crew being ordered to bale out.Only the A/G Sgt A G Lees(also on BK436) was successful.The rest died when the a/c crashed near Rolvenden, 15mls SSE of Maidstone,Kent. Sgt Buie,and F/Sgt LK Taylor were also on BK436 and the other crew members this time were P/O R W Thompson,Nav, and Sgt A W Kimmerly,RCAF.These all died in the crash and subsequent fire.
    Bomber Command operated Wellingtons in the early part of the war with a 6 man crew using 2 pilots. A short while prior to these incidents they dropped the 2nd pilot and used the personnel to captain 5 man crews which were the norm in the UK from then on.I don't know the exact timing of the crew change so it is possible that Wade(on BK436) could have been the 2nd pilot or flying as supernumary with an experienced captain prior to taking his own crew on ops.
    All the details come from W R Chorley-Bomber Command Losses, Vol 4
    For photos try Google Images using "Vickers Wellington" and there should be plenty of pictures although the specific mark of Wellington is not always indicated
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 21st April 2011 at 08:33.

Thanks

Default Thank you.

Hi Dennis,

Most excellent stuff and most kind of you to dig out these links and printed off and given to my good lady. Great also that Sgt. Lees is included as his badge started off this mini quest.

Would be nice to try and find an original picture of each plane but I guess it really does not matter that much just as long as I get one of the correct type/period.

I will have a look at the last link in a mo, would be nice to get a copy of the Records.

Thank you very much for the help.

Regards,
    Chris.

Thanks

Default Once again thank you.

Hi Dick,

Another part of the jigsaw, most grateful for the help and interesting to know that most of the chaps were included in both events.

Thank you also for the Reference, I will explore that further.

Now that I know what Mk these Wellington Bombers were that will make it a whole lot easier to find the correct picture....

Once again gents, thank you for the help.
    Regards,
    Chris.