Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane LW-D

Thanks

Default Hurricane LW-D

Hi.

I have been guided to this picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/Hamish.USA/FamilyHistory#5131500953614910754

It shows Hurricane Mk I AG203 coded LW-D. Can anyone shed a light on the unit and timeframe?

AG203 was with 527 Sq., 74 Wing and 4 TEU.

S/Ldr Colin Leagh-Murray on the photo flew with 56 Sq. and 16 Sq. and it does not have to be "his" a/c.

John

Thanks

Hi

According to "Combat Codes" 'LW' was used by 74, 75 and 76 Signals Wing so perhaps he was on rest when this was taken? The a/c has a S/Ldr's pennant.

Steve

Thanks

Hello,

Do you have the dates when he was with No. 16 Squadron ? The Spitfire picture in the collection (not the wrongly labelled Hurricane picture you mention) shows a reconnaissance Spitfire (windscreen + camera window) and is likely to be a machine of this Squadron.

A few interesting pictures in this gallery, thanks for pointing it to us.

joss

Thanks

Default Hurricane LW-D

Hello,

the other photo shown of the Spitfire with no mirror. When and where was this taken, the markings look odd ?

Alex

Thanks

The 2008 edition of COMBAT CODES lists the code LW as also used by 318 Squadron. They had Hurricanes for training at Detling before leaving for the Middle East so it seems possible that the photograph was taken then.
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

318 Sqn only started using the 'LW' code at the end of 1944, by which time they were equipped with Spitfires. You can sometimes see artwork showing their Hurricanes as LW-coded but that's rubbish.
    Last edited by VoyTech; 21st April 2011 at 12:58.

Thanks

Hello,

No. 16 Squadron was flying tactical reconnaissance missions. Rear-looking mirror were mostly used on PR Spitfires, so the pilot could see if he was creating contrails. But I admit that TacR Spitfires might have mirrors as well, as other Spitfire marks had.

I agree the Spitfire looks as she had many hours under her belt...

Leagh-Murray's A9300 file in not digitised in the NAA. There's also an undigitised A705 file, when he was a Sergeant pilot, for an accident/incident with Hurricane II Z3442 at Saffron Walden on 24th December 1941.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 21st April 2011 at 14:02.

Thanks

Default Colin Leagh-Murray

Hi.

The incident in 1941 is described like this: "Crashed after night take-off from Duxford, Arnold Lane, Hadstock near Saffron Walden." Hurricane Z3442 US-M.

I don't know exactly when he was with 16 Sq. But he was ther in January 1945, when he claimed a probable Ju88 in an unarmed Spit:

"Date: 9.1.45

Pilot: F/Lt L-Murray

Aircraft: Spit XI T 890

Time: 1110 1345

Height: 17-19000

Cameras: S/14"

Airfields & River at Oldenburg & Hamburg

Photos

a/b 1110. Climbed to 18,000ft and s/c for Bremen. First targets under cloud. Flew on to Hamburg. When nearing target area ran into 10/10ths cloud, descended to obtain pin-pt. On breaking cloud saw Ju 88 to port and just ahead. Made an attack on him and he turned away into a tight turn to port. Followed him into turn and when nearing blacking out pt saw him flick into a spin and disappear into cloud between 5 & 6,000 ft still spinning. Could not pin-pt myself but observed a big river ahead to port. Flew towards it and eventually found myself over Hamburg at about 10,000 ft. s/c for Bremen and was able to make a short run on river target, then s/c for base and pancaked at 1345 hrs in a heavy snow storm.

Leagh-Murray"

John

Thanks

Default Hurricane Mk I AG203 coded LW-D

Gentlemen,

Further to the picture shown of Hurricane Mk I AG203 coded LW-D. I thought it may be of interest to show you another picture, identical to that shown of Sqn Ldr Colin Leagh-Murray with Hurricane LW-D AG203. Only this picture shows Acting Squadron Leader George Milner-Smith DFC of No. 256 Squadron in front of the same Hurricane.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6e998cd0d20bfa90&id=6E998CD0D20BFA90%212437

The picture was recently sent to me by his Son (also George Milner Smith) when he sent me his Father's kit. His Son had always thought that Hurricane AG203 was his Father's own Aircraft. Having seen the Leagh-Murray picture that now may not to be the case, but his Father was never able to confirm this. Sadly his Father was shot down by ground fire over Italy on 15th April 1945 in Mosquito JT/A (HK 508).

I hope this is of interest on this thread.

Ian

Bombphoons Vintage Aviation Memorabilia

Thanks

Default Picture of AG203

Hi Ian.

The link to the picture seems to be dead. Could you upload it again?

John