Thread: WWII RAF Medals

Thanks

Default WWII RAF Medals

Could someone please tell me the correct line up for mounting of the 'Defence, War and Aircrew Europe' medals? and where would the unofficial 'Bomber Command medal' be worn? Thank you

Norman

Thanks

Norman

WW2 medal mounting order is as follows this is the full list, in order of wear.

1939-45 Star, Atlantic, Air Crew Europe, Africa, Pacific, Burma, Italy, France and Germany, Defence Medal, War Medal

So in your Case ACE, Defence, War Medal.

As for the Bomber command medal this is of course an unofficial medal so strictly speaking should be worn below the official awards. However, I have seen many veterans wearing this medal at the end of an official group.

Regards

Paul

Thanks

Although it is very unlikely that you will ever see a WW2 medal group consisting solely of the ACE star, Def and War Medals. You appear to be missing a 39/45 star aswell! The criteria can be found on the following website and you can see that in order to earn the ACE star, you needed to have earned the 39/45 star first:

http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/h/index.html
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default Air crew europe star

Just agreeing with what has been said, you will never see a correct group like that. ''The Air Crew Europe Star could not be earned unless the qualification to earn the 1939-45 star had been fulfilled.''

Thanks

Thank you Gentlemen for the information.,

Please accept my apologies. The medal group should have included the 1939-!945 Star and not the Aircrew Europe as my My father was shot down 3rd June 1944 and therefore did not qualify.

I hope to be wearing his medals soon (on the right breast) for a future gathering at the crash site memorial in Northern France but first I must get them mounted.

Norman

Thanks

Norman,

I obviously do not know the facts, but the ACE star was earned for service prior to D-Day. The France and Germany star (or the clasp if the ACE had already been earned) was awarded for service post 6 Jun 1944.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Ummmm!! still not certain we've got to the bottom of this particular set of medals, particularly with regards to the Aircrew Europe and/or France and Germany stars or the clasps to one or t'other.

Given the date of 3 June, it should, I believe, be an Aircrew Europe Star and a 39/45 Star together with Defence and War Medals. The order of precedence is: 39/45, ACE, Defence and finally War Medal.

If you are having these medals mounted for wear, may I suggest you get them done 'Court' style - mush smarter!!

Old Duffer