Thread: Halifax HX223 of 502 Squadron.

Thanks

Default Halifax HX223 of 502 Squadron.

Greetings,
    I would be pleased if anyone could give me the trades of the following airmen lost in 502 Squadron Halifax HX223 on 26 March 1944 off St Davids Heads, Wales. I do have the two pilots names and the Flight Engineer.

Sgt. Phillip JOHNSTONE. 1575423 RAF(VR) Age 22. Formerly of Walsall. Commemorated at the Runnymede Memorial – Panel 232.

F/O George Wooley LEADSOM 117717 RAF(VR) Age 31. Formerly of Millom, Cumberland. Commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial – Panel 207.

Sgt George William BALL. 1028730 RAF(VR) Age 20. Commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial – Panel 224

Sgt. Theodore John WILLIAMS 1586945 RAF(VR) Age not /Known. Commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial – Panel 240.

F/Sgt. James Charles Stone ARNOLD 1331260 RAF(VR) age 29 Formerly of Norwich. Commemorated on the Runnymede memorial – Panel 215.

Many thanks,
    ‘Digger’

Thanks

Hi Digger,
    Sorry I cannot answer your question, but would it be possible for you to let me have the names of the other three crewmen.
    Regards
    Tony K

Thanks

Hi Tony,

F/Sgt N S Youster
    F/Sgt N Thompson
    F/O G W Leadsom
    Sgt P Johnstone
    Sgt T J Williams
    F/Sgt J C S Arnold
    Sgt G W Ball
    F/L I W Speirs RNZAF

Caught fire and crashed into the sea off St. Davids Head, Pembrokeshire. Reported off Strumble Head.

MARCH 26TH. - ST. DAVID’S, PEMBROKESHIRE.
    At 11.30 at night, the life-boat honorary secretary received a telephone message from the R.A.F. at St. David’s that a Halifax aeroplane was down in the sea several miles west by north of St. David’s Head. She could be seen ablaze on the water. A light south-west wind was blowing and the sea was calm. Five minutes later the naval base asked the life-boat to stand by, and at 12.10 the duty naval officer asked her to go out. He said that a high speed launch had left Fishguard at 11.45. The motor life-boat Civil Service No. 6 was launched at 12.12. Included in her crew were the honorary secretary, Dr. Joseph Soar, Mus.Doc., and Squadron Leader Manton. Aeroplanes dropped flares to help the life-boat and she searched for a long time, but all that she found was a wheel of the aeroplane, which she towed in. It was 7.5 nextmorning when she got back to her station. - Rewards, £12 8s.
    (Source: RNLI Records of Service 1939-46)

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Many thanks as always Ross.
    Tony K

Thanks

Hello Tony & Ross,
    Many thanks indeed for your replies, I note Ross' answer answers for you as well Tony, I see.

Thank goodness Ross you are around to answer some of our queries, I presume, no hope for Vol.II of your Coastal Command Losses being published? Midland Publishers let everyone down didn't they?

Out of this context, How nice it was to see so many happy smiling Pommy faces on TV the other night (For us).

Cheers,
    Digger

Thanks

Hello Tony,
    Had a bit of computer problems, who hasn't?

Bit late in replying, would you like a photo of Flt/Lt. Ian William SPEIRS NZ413498. Pilot of Halifax HX223 of 502 Sqn?

If so please contact me at awarculus@xtra.co.nz

Cheers,
    'Digger'