Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guinea Pig Club - List of names

Thanks

Default Guinea Pig Club - List of names

Hi,

Can any forum member tell me if there is a list of names of people treated by Archibald McIndoe and who were to become his guinea pigs?

My interest is in the survivors of Wellington X9816 of 103 Squadron which crashed on 5th May 1942 piloted by Sgt. F. Quested and subsequently burned out. The surviving crew were Sgt. J. G. Blandford, Sgt. F. B. Swinfin, P/O J. W. Craig (mentioned earlier on the forum) and of course the pilot (W.R. Chorley V3).

I know Sgt. Quested went to the RAF hospitals at Rauceby (where McIndoe worked) and then to Matlock.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

A list of the "Guinea Pigs" is in the book "McINDOE'S ARMY" - The Story of the Guinea Pig Club and its Indomitable Members (Edward Bishop) ISBN 1-904943-02-0, published by Grub Street, 4 Rainbow Close, London - SW11 6SS.
    Are you looking for special names ? The book is on my book-shelf.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Forgot to tell that of the posted names only J.W. CRAIG is in the 'Guinea Pig List'.

Thanks

Thanks Henk!

Thanks

There is a large sign written board outside one of the wards in The Queen Vic Hospital in East Grinstead which commemmorates the club and has the names of all those on it...... Of course there was one man who was admitted to the club as an extra member who was not operated on by McIndoe....... Simon Weston, of Falklands War fame. He was the last man to be given membership.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

There seems to be confusion in members understanding of Russ' post. He asks for a patients list of McIndoes "guinea pigs" which is not the same as the members of the club. eg my father spent time in the QV and was operated several times by McIndoe and co. He never joined the Association feeling that a) his wound (an incendiary bomb burn on his buttock) was not visible and b) that he was on leave when it happened. We did go to one reunion , the year that the book McIndoes Army was published but that was because I worked for Fremlin's Brewery who put on the annual reunion. Dad met many he remembered and enjoyed the day, ending up playing for both sides (Brewery & Club) in the great darts match but was never moved to join the club. I'm sure he was not alone in being a Guinea Pig but not a GP club member. He was very lucky in that he was picked up in one of the civilian hospital list "trawls" for RAF Aircrew casualties having been warned that in all likleyhood he would lose his leg

Thanks

Thanks James and Pete,

Yes, I am interested to know if in my list of names any of the aircrew of X9816 were treated by McIndoe which basically sprung on from a previous thread of P/O J. W. Craig. I know Sgt. Quested was admitted to No.4 RAF Hospital Rauceby which became a crash and burns unit and where McIndoe pioneered some of his plastic surgery therefore wondered if any of this aircrew were to become guinea pigs.

Russ

Thanks

Gents
    Do I understand correctly that those treated for burns at Basingstoke, were not considered Guinea Pigs?

Thanks

Default Howard Carr - Guinea Pig member?

I was wondering if any members would know if Sgt Howard Lyndon Carr, DFM, may have been a patient at the Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead? I have several pictures of him with burns patients at the hospital, but he has no visible burms himself. He was awarded the DFM at the end of his tour with 101 squadron (tour ended June 1944, DFM October 1944), and later served non-operationally in a training unit.

many thanks

Peter

Thanks

Peter.

No trace of your man on the listing.
    Having just published my book 'Goldfish Caterpillars & Guinea Pigs' I have a strong interest in this subject. As has been mentioned despite operations carried out across the country unless the individual was operated on at East Grinstead and primarily by McIndoe himself but this was relaxed. Membership to the Guinea Pig Club was very much restricted to that unit. Some men were moved into East Grinstead after being assessed by McIndoe as being candidates for the unique capabilities of him and his team, they have originated from hospitals across the country and were not all related to burn injuries. My book touches upon the membership badges of these clubs which in itself is a most interesting subject.