Thread: No 413 RCAF squadron dets.

Thanks

Default No 413 RCAF squadron dets.

Hello,
    No 413 RCAF squadron was transferred to Ceylon in march 1942 and remained there till 1945. Anyway the squadron had several dets in various parts of the Indian Ocean. The book "squadrons of the RAF and Commonwealth 1918-1988" says "dets at various times to: Addu Atoll, Seychelles, Pamanzi, Tulear, Durban, Langebaan, Aden, China Bay, Redhills Lake, Cochin, Kelai, Diego Suarez"

I'm trying to find out what are the "various times".
    I guess, but I may be wrong, that dets in Addu Atoll and Seychelles, were in 1942, during or soon after the Japanese fleet raid. Probably dets in South Africa were during the operations in Madagascar in mid 1942.
    Can you help me in finding the dates when the dets were based outside Ceylon?
    That link doesn't help much: http://www.rafcommands.com/Coastal/413C.html

Thank you in advance
    Max

Thanks

Max,

Canadian Flying Operations in South East Asia, by T.W. Melnyk, mentions the following detachments by 413 Squadron:

In support of the invasion of Madagascar, one aircraft was based at Mombasa from mid-June to early August 1942 and another operated from the Seychelles from 14 June to 7 July 1942.

From September 1942 to November 1943, unit aircraft on detachment operated, for various periods, from Aden, Bahrein, Masirah Island, Dubai and Jiwani.

October 1942 to September 1943, unit aircraft on detachment operated, for various periods, from Mombasa, Durban, St. Lucia and Langebaan in Africa, and Diego Saurez and Tulear in Madagascar

26 October to 2 November 1942, one aircraft flew two missions from Addu Atoll

By December 1943 all unit aircraft were based at Koggala but some operated from forward bases at Addu Atoll, Male, Deigo Garcia, Kelai and Cochin as needed

413 Squadron was declared non-operational on 8 December 1944, pending its return to the UK for conversion to a bomber squadron, and it departed on 21 January 1945.

Rob

Thanks

Thank you very much!
    It helps a lot.
    I hope to find even more info for the generic period posted.

Best regards
    Max