Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Database of Danes in allied military service

Thanks

Default Database of Danes in allied military service

The Museum of Danish Resistance 1940-1945 has launched a database of Danes in allied service 1939-45
    http://allieret.natmus.dk/Forside.aspx

The user interface is in Danish only - at least for the time being - but it should be possible to use it nonetheless.

If you are interested in Air Force only, just type "Air Force" in "Enhed" and press search.

For my part, the database enables me to make even more information public as I now has a disclosed source available. In many cases, I have not been able to make a record public on my website due to Danish archive laws.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

That is a great link you have posted. I have used it already and found my man, but now of course I am stuck due to my lack of Danish.

I wonder if you could help with translation for the material and info on the page. It is for the soldier Willy Borge Erik Petersen. He was a Chindit officer in 1943 and commanded my Grandfather for a short time.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Thanks

Not a lot of information, but he is a well known figure in Denmark. Nickname "Burma Peter"

Willy Børge Erik Petersen
    Born 18-12-1912
    Dead 14-07-1999
    Major

Soldier in allied service
    Served in: Great Britain
    Service number: 221724

Archive sources
    Frihedsmuseet, 15B-15,
    Frihedsmuseet, 15B-26,

[these are references to the archive of the museum]

Literature
    Burma Peter (Knud Rasmussen) [a 1998 biography]
    Danmark under besættelsen, bind III (), 1946, s. 726 [one of the classic books about Denmark during the war]

Modtaget Christian Xs fortjenstmedalje
    [awarded the King Christian Medal for Participation in the War 1940-45]

The information is very basic. For instance it is not mentioned that he was awarded the MC.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Thank you Mikkel,

Yes he was awarded the MC and wounded twice in Burma. He escaped with his Chindit column via the Chinese borders in 1943. Previously he was with the East Kent Regiment and also trained with Special forces in Malaya where he was a Rubber planter.

I will explore the book 'Burma Peter'.

Steve.

Thanks

Mikkel,

I have found some information on the book and a wonderful photo of Petersen too. Do you happen to know if there has been an English translation of 'Burma Peter'?

Thanks again

Steve.

Thanks

to my knowledge it has not been translated.

regards

Mikkel

Thanks

Thank you so much for all your help Mikkel, it is very much appreciated.

Steve.

Thanks

Hello Mikkel,

Thanks for this interesting source. I was mostly interested in BOGE, who was captured in my research area.

Can you tell me if/where J.H. GIELSTRUP is commemorated ? He was lost at sea on 23rd August 1943.

Joss

Thanks

Joss
    Regarding Bøge / Boge, he is here
    http://allieret.natmus.dk/person.aspx?84084

and on my website
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?alpha=b&id=19

Regarding Gielstrup, I am no sure he has a known grave. I'll check my sources at home. If they state otherwise, I'll let you know.

Mikkel

Thanks

Hello,

I had already visited your site about A.J.L. BOGE (can't work out how to type the barred O). I'll e-mail you his PoW questionnaire if you don't have it.

I think that Gielstrup has no known grave, and I'd like to know if he's commemorated on a memorial somewhere (can't find him listed on Runnymede, but a similar one for Danes). Or perhaps in his native town / area. It's only to complete the entry in FCL volume 2.

Joss