Thread: Stirling W7455 7 Sept 1943

Thanks

Default Stirling W7455 7 Sept 1943

Hi all,

I have been carrying out some research on the Second World War Dead for Sydney Grammar School and at an ANZAC Day luncheon I was sitting next to an old boy by the name of C K Gilkes, he was telling me that their aircraft was shot down by a JU88 (he thought) on the above date. Two of the crew later died namely F/O L F Smith DFC and F/Sgt D E L Reddy RAAF. Ken told me that he spent the next two years in hospital.

Chorley lists cause as an intruder from V./KG2 (page 64 of Volume 8 BCL) and Intruders over Britain makes only a passing mention of the event.

Does anyone know who may have shot them down.

Thanks,

John.

Thanks

Have no name of the German crew but know that it were Messerschmitts ME 410 of V./KG2 sent as intruders to the Cambridge area.

Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Thanks for that. Its a start.

John.

Thanks

hi John

I can't help with your specfic enquiry but you may be interested to know that F/Sgt D E L Reddy's service record is available in digital form from the Australian National Archive website. Also Stirling W7455 is the subject of a colour photograph in the Imperial War Musuem Archive collection. It's image ref TR 135 and was taken in Jan 1942 when the aircraft was with 149 Squadron. An A5 jpeg copy by email would cost around £6.

Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, I have seen the photo but had not looked at Reddy's file but will today.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hello,

The History of KG 2 written by Ulf Balke has the following entry, page 264, for the night of 6th September 1943. KG 2 sent Dornier Do-217s that night as well. I don't have the book, only photostat copies of the relevant parts when they were based in my area in northern France.

I leave it in German, so you can translate it your own way : "In der gleichen Nacht setzt die V./KG2 10 Me 410 zur Fernnachtjagd und gegend Flugplätze im Raum Cambridge ein. Hierbei wird einer von 404 aus München zurückkehrenden viermotorigen Bomber (Stirling I der 1657. Squadron mit der Besatzung Sgt Gilkes) abgeschossen. Daneben wirft di V. Gruppe 2,93 Tonnen Bomben auf verschidene Flugplätze in Raum Cambridge. Weitere 6,31 Tonnen fallen auf Ausweichziele in Colchester, Southend and Canterbury."

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 10th May 2011 at 06:32.