Thread: wellington crash info

Thanks

Default wellington crash info

hi all
    looking for more information and hopefully a photograph of Wellington X LN281.
    any info on Sgt. E M. Roberts would also be gratefully recieved.

13 August 1944

14 OTU
    Wellington X LN281
    Training.

The aircraft took off from Market Harborough at 1545 hrs for a corss-country exercise, the crew included a staff pilot and navigator as instructors. Stalled and crashed circa 1930 hrs, after the starboard engine failed, four miles north of Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, a fire breaking out immediately.

Crew.

F/O. N. Owen DFC +
    Sgt. E M. Roberts +
    P/O. S J. Guiver +
    Sgt. W M. Thomas +
    Sgt. L. Wilson +
    Sgt. R. McCudden +
    Sgt. P R. Stafford +
    Sgt. G R. Raby injured

Taken from 'Bomber Command Losses' Vol.7 - W R. Chorley

thanks

sketch

Thanks

Default Wellington Crash Info

Hi I have been reading your info request. My father is Sgt. George H Raby who was on that Wellington training flight. He has never talked about what happened as he has no memory of what happened. He was navigator or gunner I believe. During the flight he said he either did not plug in his intercom or oxygen as he never heard the pilot say anything about a problem, he did not have his harness on and just went to sleep and woke up in hospital. At 87 he is one of the few Guinea Pig Club members still alive. Sorry I do not have any more info but if you have I would be very interested to know how dad survived, he thinks he must have been thrown clear because of the harness.

Thanks

hi,
    thats an amazing story. someone out there must have more info on this crash, unfortunately i`ve not been able to find anything myself, but if i do i`ll certainly let you know.

sketch

Thanks

hi norwich,
    if you see this could you pm me or email me, as i have more information about this crash for you...
    thanks

sketch