Thread: P/O A.F. LAIDLOW, R.C.A.F., evasion report

Thanks

Default P/O A.F. LAIDLOW, R.C.A.F., evasion report

Hello,

I'm looking for excerpts from P/O A.F. (initials ?) LAIDLAW, R.C.A.F., the pilot of Lancaster PA996 of No. 50 Squadron, shot down during a raid against St Leu d'Esserent, 7/8th July 1944. He was the only survivor of his crew. His six crewmates are buried in Mesnil-Mauger, Seine-Maritime.

It's report # 2331 in WO 208/3322, in case someone may have copied it. I found his name in the escape & evasion report of a U.S. airmen, and I'd like to check his moves when he evaded capture. Did he come close to the Pas-de-Calais département or not, actually.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

RCAF casualty list 958 lists

LAIDLAW, Alan Fraser, PO, Winnipeg

Search in the http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/exhibitions/newspapers/intro_e.shtml
    narrow search window to 1944 only.

Same list includes his RCAF crew mates Noren, Hopkins, Motriuk and Bishop
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for the first names. I should have thougth about this resource by myself, I've already used extensively in the past. LAIDLAW didn't come down in my research area, and I'm trying to find if he may have moved north when he was evading, or if it was the U.S. evader that moved south or south-west, from the Pas-de-Calais area. Some evasion reports are not very clear about locations.

Thanks again for your help

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss ,

I have Laidlaw's report somewhere ... in the attic ! Will need some time to find it but from memory no , he stayed in the crash area in Normandy until liberated in Sept. 44.
    I wrote to Laidlaw years ago but he didn't wish talking about the crew loss as it was still paintful . They were closing their tour having flown 28 or 29 missions.

Zorglub.

Thanks

Sorry ,

...read " painful ".

Zorglub

Thanks

Hello Laurent

As we say in French, "Aide-toi le ciel t'aidera", I managed to answer my own question. I confirm he stayed in the "76" and didn't move towards the Pas-de-Calais. That implies that the U.S. evader who mentioned him in his own E&E moved from the Pas-de-Calais towards Normandy.

Hope you're fine

Joss