Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerald Stanley Miles, 617 Squadron, died 1943

Thanks

Default Gerald Stanley Miles, 617 Squadron, died 1943

I am researching my second cousin Gerald Stanley Miles, born 1923 in Jubbulpore, India and died 1943 as a PO in the 617 squadron. His service no was 155040.

My mother told me - before she passed - that Gerald was a rear gunner, on his 35th mission, and failed to return. he was 19 years old.

Can any body throw any further light on his military career? I have search various online records concerning the 617 Squadron, some even listing flight crews, but I cannot find his name.

I have found on ancestry.com and Find My Past his passage back from India as an infant (his mother died 2 weeks after his birth) and his birth notice (army birth notices indices) also his death notice (Death R.A.F All Ranks) where
    his service number and squadron is listed.

I would appreciate any help in discovering a little more about this lad.

Thanks

Hi,
    15/16th Sept 43, was a bad night for 617sqdn, losing 5 a/c on ops to bomb the Dortmund-Ems canal near Ladbergen. Gerald was on board Lancaster JA874, piloted by P/O W.G.Divall, which is beleived to have been hit by flak, and crashed ear Bramsche, with the loss of all eight on board.

P/O W.G. Divall.
    Sgt E.C.A. Blake.
    F/O D.W. Warwick, RCAF.
    F/Sgt R.C. McArthur.
    F/Sgt J.S. Simpson.
    Sgt A.A. Williams.
    Sgt G.S. Miles.
    Sgt D. Allatson.
    Details are rom BC Losses 1943 (Chorley)
    If you can pm me with your email address, i'll have a look through the 617sqdn ORB (Operations Record Book) and get back to you with details of previous ops for this crew.
    Alan.

Thanks

Go to post http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?10813-RAF-National-Service-Records (post 3) for details as to how to obtain his service record. It will probably contain a lot of acronyms but members on this forum will be happy to help interpret.

Brian

Thanks

Hi

Bill Divall and crew were the last to join 617 Squadron during the training period for the dams raid. They were posted across the base having already been at Scvampton with 57 Squadron, but ultimately, because of an injury, the crew were stood down and so missed that famous operation. Gerald was not amongst them at the time.

The Divall crew's first op was to Italy on July 15th 1943, when the squadron flew a diversionary op, landing in North Africa afterwards. On their way home on the 24th, they completed another operation, again against Intalian targets. On the 29th they flew a third, again to Italy to drop leaflets, again landing in North Africa. I have several photos of the crews in Africa at the time, although gerland had not been posted to the Squadron then. After this there was a period of reorganisation, with the squadron moving to Coningsby at the end of August 1943. Surprisingly, as it is one of the better compiled Squadron Record Books, Geralds arrival isnt mentioned, although it was likely to be around the end of August or first couple of days of September. The next operation for the Divall crew was on September 14th when nine crews were detailed to attack the dortmund-Ems canal. They were recalled on the outward leg when over the North Sea, losing one crew as he turned to head back. As the crews had eight on board, Gerald was almost certainly flying with Divall this night, although the crews themselves are not recorded. The following night they tried again, but the Squadron suffered heavy losses over the target area, Divall (and Gerald) amongst them.

These are brief details I have to hand. I'll have to see what I have in the way of other information. I might have a photo of his headstone if its of use?

Thanks

Hi Airman,
    Looking at the details in the 540 section for September, on the 10th it states, nine airgunners attached to the squadron from 44, 49, 50 and 106 squadrons, i'm wondering if he was amongst them.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hi,

Looking at the book 'The Great Raids Volume 2 Essen 5 March 1943' Battle of the Ruhr A/C J SEARBY DSO DFC

The book lists all the crews who flew on this famous mission. For 106 Sqn

Lancaster ED 596
    S/L P WARD-HUNT D.F.C
    P/O J. LISTON D.F.C
    F/O M McIVER RCAF D.F.C
    F/L R.L WAKE DFC &Bar
    P/O L G DAVIS
    SGT G.S MILES
    SGT G.W ROBERTS

This is more than likely Gerald

Also the book The Men Who Breached the Dams - Alan Cooper. Gives career details on -
    F/O W.G. Divall.
    Sgt E.C.A. Blake.
    F/O D.W. Warwick, RCAF.
    F/Sgt R.C. McArthur.
    F/Sgt J.S. Simpson.
    Sgt A.A. Williams.
    Sgt D. Allatson - did fly on the Dams raid in F/Sgt Ken Brown RCAF crew as Front Gunner replacing Sgt Buntain who was ill !

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,
    Good spotting, that's definatley Gerald, i've found several references to this crew in the few odd pages i have from the 106 ORB.
    Alan.

Thanks

Default Gerald Stanley Miles

Thankyou everybody for all of your help, if anyone has any further information on his service with the 106sqdn I would love to hear from you. I will try and follow up with getting his service records.
    Thankyou again

Thanks

hello,

I knew W/C Peter Ward-hunt well, a great man ! His logbook must be at hendon now, so you could consult it ...
    He was Flight Commander with John Searby in 106 Squadron under the command of Guy Gibson .
    Perhaps your relative could be on a picture which is in Lancaster at war, where we can see some crews with Gibson taken under the Lancaster Admiral Prune....
    It was taken shortly before Guy Gibson leave the squadron to form 617 squadron ...

Alain.

Thanks

Thank-you Alaine, unfortunately I live in Adelaide, Australia and am unable to visit Hendon. If it isnt online it becomes difficult for me to access.
    Thankyou again
    Beryl