Thread: 46 Group, Harrow Weald

Thanks

Default 46 Group, Harrow Weald

Hi All,
    Does anyone know the precise location of 46 Gp HQ in Harrow Weald? Postal address will do (or Lat/Lon, OS NGR).
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

HQ No 46 Group
    Uxbridge Road
    Harrow Weald
    Harrow
    Middlesex

Tel: Hatch End 1722

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm, I thank you.
    But it was not what I was after (LOL).
    That part of NW London was the location of a number of RAF/Air Min Units. What I'm trying to do is get my head round the connection between them.
    Bentley Priory, HQ 46 Gp, Govt Bldgs Stanmore, Met Office Stores Harrow, etc. The Met Office Training School (where they tried to instil some knowledge into my thick skull before it (the school, not my head!) moved to the new HQ at Bracknell) was at Stanmore. Met Office Stores was at "Harrow". Bentley Priory could not have had all its infrastucture on-site - it must have had support services from somewhere. Where?
    Now I know that in WW2 'They' tended to make it up as they went along, but finding who did what, where, and when, is proving a little difficult!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

With respect, Resmoroh, Malcolm answered the question you posed - the supplementary is somewhat different!!

46 Gp bounced around the area quite a bit at the end of the war and afterwards and you don't actually state the period in question. I sense from your second post that you after the post war period.

Please can we start again? What period do you refer to. At various stages we could be at the Bushy Hall Hotel or even Dinton House Vicarage.

Over to You.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Peter

The address I quoted is that shown in the Jun 1944 and Jun 1945 Confidential Air Force Lists

Malcolm

Thanks

All these are within a mile or so of me. To detail a few, RAF Stanmore park was a 'proper' base but had no airstrip. It was the HQ of Air cadets and Ballon Command during the war. A mile or so from that was Bentley priory, a stately home which hosed Fighter Command for many years and which has only recenbtly been vacated by the RAF. Apart from RAF Northolt (an operational station) RAF Uxbridge (a training depot) and RAF West Ruislip (admin mostly) all local RAF establishments, the War Office and Air Ministry comandeered many buildings around the Borough of Harrow, many never used, such as my old school, Harrow County Grammar. They served numerous purposes, many unrelated to the next.

At the NA once i came across the ORB for RAF Harrow, but despite reading it, gained no clue as to where the base/unit was, and it was all admin related only.

Up the road is Northwood, for a while HQ Coastal Command, and still a high security MoD Headquarters.

Thanks

Many thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. I've now got a much better 'handle' on the RAF Units in that area. I take the 'slap on wrist' from Old Duffer in the spirit in which it was given. I had hoped that a Postal Address (i.e. XX Uxbridge Road) would enable me to isolate the precise building - but 'Uxbridge Road' is quite long! I've got rellies in the area, and was hoping I might be able to give them precise directions for possible photographs. Additionally, the Met Office (in its infinite wisdom) shredded most of the WW2 (and immediately after) files both of people and things. We are, in slow time, trying to re-create that which has been lost.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 16th May 2011 at 16:28. Reason: Syntax

Thanks

Default 46 group harrow weald

Hi Guys

The location of the HQ of 46 group was located at the house known as The Cedars, which was at the junction of Uxbridge Rd and Courtenay Ave, it is clearly marked on a London A-Z. The house was demolished post war and is now a small park surrounded by cedar trees. regards pete

Thanks

The house has gone but there are some railings there with I think the main gate. The area was known as 'Blackwell' as part of the Blackwell estate, with the high School around the corner being Blackwell School (now Hatch End High). The Blackwell family are those of 'Cross & Blackwell', the famous soup makers. Its basically just off the end of my road if you want a photo.