Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 214 Sqn Fortress night 7/8 Feb 1945

Thanks

Default 214 Sqn Fortress night 7/8 Feb 1945

On the night 7/8 February 1945 the crew (pilot Harry Bennett DFC, RAFVR) of Flying Fortress III HB815/BU-J made a claim for a destroyed Ju 88. For more information see www.214squadron.org.uk

There is a claim for a Ju 88 destroyed by 214 Sqn in the Monthly Supplementary Narrative of Operations February 1945 but this claim was made by the crew of Fortress B. Can anyone confirm which crew Fortress B had and if possible also serial number of the a/c?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Thanks

Default 214 Sqn Fortress

Hi Peter

Looks like the 214 website is wrong here, having relied on info from another website.

From the 214 ORB:

On 7-8/2/45 'BU-B' was Fortress KJ110 (W/O H Bennett and crew), providing Jostle support for a 5 Group raid on the Dortmund-Ems Canal at Ladbergen.

Crossing the battle lines on the way home they saw a Lancaster shot down by a Ju88 which then attacked them. The 88 was shot down in flames by the rear gunner but the Fortress suffered considerable damage. The H2S and Gee were shot away, the nose was badly damaged, and large holes were shot in the starboard wing and near the rear gunner's compartment. They landed at Manston. The Navigator, P/O E G Paddick, was badly wounded in the attack and died in the Station Sick Quarters. The Special Operator and one of the Waist Gunners were also wounded.

This was the last of 18 ops (including 1 aborted) flown by KJ110 between 9/12/1944 and 7/2/1945, during which she had 12 different pilots (Bennett 3x).

On 7-8/2/1945, HB815 / 'BU-J' was being flown by F/O R Coates on a 'Window' Patrol.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Ian

ps F/O Bennett and all but 2 of his crew were in fact killed in HB815 / 'BU-J' when it was shot down over Oulton by a Ju88 intruder during Operation Gisela on 3-4/3/1945. Many books say they were shot down by Ltn Arnold Doring, who did indeed later claim that he had shot down a '4-engined bomber with a single tail' (and I don't think any Stirlings were shot down that night), BUT I know that our esteemed colleague Rod Mackenzie ('RodM' on this forum) disagrees that it was Doring as he (Doring) also said that the airfield was showing different identification letters so WASN'T Oulton, 214's base where Bennett was killed.
    Last edited by ianh; 15th May 2011 at 16:55. Reason: 'ps' added

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the information. Exactly what I needed.

You probably know about this already but you can read more about the rear gunner Frank Hudson who made the claim at http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/19/a1073819.shtml. Frank and several other from the ordinary crew were not flying with Bennett when he was shot down.

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Hello all,

I have read with interest the comments on 214 Sqn Fortress III KJ110 on 7/8-2-1945. Could someone please confirm that AUS424094 F/Sgt Keith Robert LEVITT RAAF*, was one of the wounded (possibly the Special Operator), aboard KJ110 on 7/8-2-1945?

Levitt is not mentioned (by name) in this thread, on the 214 Sqn site, nor the various links.

* Have details from the NAA.

Thanks,

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th May 2011 at 07:57.

Thanks

Default F/S Levitt RAAF

Hi Col

I can't be absolutely 100% definitive on this as my main list of 214's wartime ops doesn't include crew details other than the pilots and I don't have a copy of the exact ORB page for 7-8/2/45.

Having said that, however, I'm 99% sure you're correct as I did put together a 'sample' list of all (?)(well, 'almost all', certainly) 214 Sqn's Fortress aircrew and have Levitt listed as being a W/Op / AG in Bennett's crew. I did actually record him as "Spec Op?" in my notes, with the comment "Previously, listed instead of W/O Odgers" AND with a mention of "7/2/1945" which, as I recall it (I did this list a few years ago) would have been the date for which I'd noted him as being part of the crew.

So I think that's him. It doesn't seen that the ORB mentioned him being wounded, although I wasn't actually looking for that particular detail. It might well be in the ORB somewhere.

Helps?

Regards

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 16th May 2011 at 11:29.

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Appreciate your help. I'm pretty sure Levitt was aboard Fortress KJ110 on 7/8-2-1945. You can see a crew listing here:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=1072497

Don't forget to expand the Item Notes (Click on [More], at the bottom of the list). These Item Notes are notorious for their inaccuracy, but sometimes, it is all we have to go on (short of getting the file digitised).

Levitt's NCO Personnel file (A9301), might also contain pertinent information.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th May 2011 at 17:18.

Thanks

Hi all,
    Is it possible that F/O (Nav) Ernest G. PADDICK was killed 7/8-2-1945 on Fortress KJ110 ?
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

As an aside, how many crew did an R.A.F. Fortress carry?

Thanks

Hi all,
    Ignore my question on F/O PADDICK; missed his name reading message # 2 of this thread.
    Apoligize...
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Gents,

The full entry in the 214 Sqdn ORB reads:

7/8 Feb.

Fortress.111. "B" (KJ.110)

W/O. H. Bennett. P/O. E.C. Paddick. Sgt. W. Briddon. Sgt. F. Hares. F/S. L.A. Hadder. F/S. F.P. Hudson. (RNZAF) NZ.426200. Sgt. I.E. Billington. W/O. S. Murdoch. W/O. R.W. Church. F/S. K.R. Levitt. (RAAF) A.424094.

Special Duty. 21.30 02.45.

This aircraft completed a Jostle Patrol to Ladbergen and landed at Manston on return. When crossing the Battle line on the way home, the crew saw a J.U.88 shoot a Lancaster down. The aircraft then attacked our aircraft and the rear gunner ordered corkscrew action and opened fire at the same time as the enemy aircraft. Damage to our aircraft was considerable. The H.2S and Gee were shot away. The nose was badly damaged. Large holes appeared in the starboard main plane and near the rear gunners compartment. The navigator was seriously wounded in the combat and died of his wounds in the station Sick Quarters at Manston. The Special Operator and Waist Gunner were slightly wounded. The enemy aircraft was destroyed and seen to go down in flames.

The BC ORS log of aircraft lost or damaged on operations records:

7/8: Fort III 214 B KJ110 (AC) - Fighter (1c+5d)

The c = 13 mm and the d = 20 mm, meaning that the damage assessment teams concluded that the aircraft was hit by at least 5 x 20 mm shells and 1 x 13 mm shell.

The Ju88 was claimed destroyed at 00.23 hrs, position 51 40N, 06 08 E, height 10,500 ft.

As to the Lancaster seen shot down just prior to the attack on KJ110, the closest plottable loss was 207 Sqdn Lancaster NN724, which crashed some 30 miles back along the track to where the Fortress crew made their claim. The crash site of a 50 Sqdn Lancaster - PD316 - is not known by myself, so I don't know if it may have crashed closer to the recorded location of the KJ110 combat.

Incidentially, the position recorded for the KJ110 was only some 4-5 miles from the front lines at that time.

As to any Luftwaffe losses, the closest any loss fits the bill in terms of location (for which a record is easily obtainable) is a Bf110 50% damaged at Emmerich due to "fire from a night fighter," This loss is recorded as at 7 Feb, and a Luftwaffe ORB for the unit concerned states that the aircraft crash-landed at 23.08 hrs, an hour before the KJ110 combat. Theoretically, under the LW system, any losses after midnight (i.e. the time of the KJ110 combat) should be recorded as at 8 Feb., but there are no clear Ju88 losses as at the 8th or 7th that can be traced to the KJ110 combat, nor the claim made by a 463 Sqdn crew a few minutes earlier and some 30 mi ENE of KJ110.

Cheers

Rod

PS - the Bennett crew were shot down in HB815, according to various British records, between 00.01 - 00.08 hours on 4th March 1945 - this being apparently the first British aircraft shot down during Gisela. The German claimant is unknown. Lt. Arnold Doering had absolutely nothing to do with the loss of this Fortress. He and his Nachtjagdgruppe were employed over Yorkshire (i.e. not within 80 miles of Oulton) at least some 30-40 minutes after the loss of HB815, and he records the time of his two claims just over an hour later than when HB815 was shot down and remembered the Morse code signal for Dishforth.
    Last edited by RodM; 16th May 2011 at 15:50. Reason: added info