Thread: Aircraft losses, UK, 7 April 1945

Thanks

Default Aircraft losses, UK, 7 April 1945

Hello One & All,

does any one have information about any four-engined aircraft of any type that may have crashed either in the UK or in the waters just off the UK on the evening of 7 april 1945.

In particular, were there any aircraft losses in the general Grimsby area?

TIA

Rod

Thanks

I have looked at a spreadsheet showing losses of aircraft chronologically and, although there are seeral candidates, none really fits the bill.

Please can you expand on your first post? Any names, any context to your enquiry. These might allow us to approach the topic from a different angle.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Hi Old Duffer,

thanks for the reply.

In this case I am looking for any twin- or four-engined aircraft that may have crashed or have been reported damaged in the north Lincolnshire (Grimsby) or southern Yorkshire (Hull) areas on the evening of 7 April 1945, say, between 19:30 - 21:30 hrs, DBST.

I am not looking for a specific loss linked to the person or some definite report, rather I am trying to gauge if there were any such crashes or incidents that could relate to a claimed combat between a German night fighter and an aircraft identified as probably being a 'Halifax' in the area of Grimsby on the night of 7-8 April 1945.

Obviously I know of no Bomber Command aircraft that could have been involved in such an incident, but I have no idea of what may have occurred to any aircraft of RAF Coastal Command, RAF Transport Command or the USAAF.

Cheers

Rod

Thanks

Default April 7/8,1945.

Hello Rod.. Could this of happened on April 8, 1945 at the same time. LV-935 from 1659 HCU might fit the bill.

Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard,

thanks for the reply.

According to the documentation that I have, the date of the incident (from a German perspective) was definitely the evening of the 7th. The aircraft type was identified as a "4 engined aircraft probably a Halifax" and the location given as 'area Grimsby' and 'position Grimsby'.

It is a difficult one because the usual British War Cabinet reports record no enemy air activity over the UK during the week in question.

Cheers

Rod