Thread: STRAW POLL - What Shall I Call It

Thanks

Default STRAW POLL - What Shall I Call It

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am chugging away on the first of what looks like a three volume tome on losses to RAF training aircraft in World War II: the first volume covers 1939 to 1942. The scope will cover the Commonwealth Air Training Plan and associated training, such as schools in the USA. In the context of the book, I have defined ‘training’ as pre-OTU flying training because there are already works dealing with operational training units and conversion units, notably Bill Chorley’s books.

I would appreciate thoughts on how the books should be laid out for ease of reference.

The options seem to be:
    a. List all losses in chronological order, regardless of where this happened.
    b. Split the book into several parts, each covering a geographic area: eg; UK, Canada and USA, Rhodesia and South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

There would need to be an appropriate Index and this is complicated if Option (b) is used because of British registered aircraft in other countries.

There might also be issues with the Roll of Honour, as many Commonwealth personnel trained in countries other than their homeland. However, my thoughts are that a single RofH will suffice, although I intend to place enemy personnel (who met their deaths attacking training aircraft) in a separate listing.

Finally, I’m looking for an inspired name for the series!! The best I can do at the moment is: “Washed Out – Volume One”, with a sub title of something like: “Commonwealth Service Flying Training Accidents – 1939 to 1942”.

Thinking caps on, please.

Old Duffer

Thanks

For titles: "Beginner's Luck", or "Per Ardua Ad Astra", a little irony. Or maybe "Ad Astra Per Aspera", to the stars through difficulties.

Concerning the layout, you will probably annoy some groups with whatever format you choose. I would go for the one that makes your job easier, since that will tend to reduce errors.

Looking forward to the book.

Thanks

Suggested titles; How about, "Clipped Wings" or "Fledgling Casualties" ?
    Best of luck in your endeavours OD.
    Regards,
    Bill.

Thanks

Colin

Firstly, good luck with your efforts on this, your hard work on documenting losses in 'fringe' areas of RAF History... e.g. Post War, and Transport Command and now Training Command cannot praised enough and I for one cannot wait for these volumes. Now for someone to do the inter-war period justice!

Anyway.. my 2 pennth I think it should be done via Country and then Chronologically. The reason for this is that it makes your job easier.. You will not have to mash up different time zones and also means as someone else has said that you will reduce errors as you can work on units with countries at a time without having to worry about the big picture.. Also I know when I am researching something I usually have a date and a burial/memorial location (CWGC helps here) so at least I know which country usually to look at

As for titles, I have two suggestions you could 'borrow' from Winston Churchill

Vol 1- Gatheriing Storm through the Finest Hour to the Grand Alliance
    Vol 2 - Hinge of Fate and Closing the Ring
    Vol 3- Triumph and Tragedy

However, my favourite is using the 'three stages of pilot training' (prior to OTU) somehow in the titles to denote the 3 phases of your volumes

1) Ab-Initio... RAF Training Accidents 1939 to 1942
    2) Intermediate... RAF Training Accidents 1943 to 194x
    3) Advanced... RAF Training Accidents 194x to 1945

Best wishes

Paul