Thread: Bury St. Emunds Hospital 1941

Thanks

Default Bury St. Emunds Hospital 1941

Hi all,

I have a record of one Czech airman posted with blood-poisoning to "hospital in Bury St. Edmunds".
    As far as I was able to find there was not a RAF hospital. As they were based at East Wretham in field conditions with not proper SSQ at the time I suppose the Squadron MO sent him to a civil hospital?

After use of Mr. Google I would guess hi was sent to West Suffolk Hospital - was it possible or at the time - November 1941 - there were other hospitals which may be possible?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    Hi all,

I have a record of one Czech airman posted with blood-poisoning to "hospital in Bury St. Edmunds".
    As far as I was able to find there was not a RAF hospital. As they were based at East Wretham in field conditions with not proper SSQ at the time I suppose the Squadron MO sent him to a civil hospital?

After use of Mr. Google I would guess hi was sent to West Suffolk Hospital - was it possible or at the time - November 1941 - there were other hospitals which may be possible?

TIA

Pavel
    Pavel I will have an ask in Bury St Edmunds and see what I can find out (since I live 20 mins away!). Might take a few weeks for me to get there as I have a busy few weeks ahead but wont forget... The current West Suffolk is not a very old hospital so it may have moved.

Thanks

Hi Oggie,

It will be very kind of you.
    I have seen a photo on the internet of nurses from West Suffolk Hospital dated 1921 so it was my conclusion it may be the main hospital there during the war, but it is only my guess.

Pavel

Thanks

1930s OS map show 3 hospitals, biggest near the railway station off Fournham rd, now a superstore site, 2 others south of the town, one on Sicklesmers rd and the other an isolation hospital on Mayfield rd. Searching on this
    http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.22865529997781&lon=0.7244 465120455115&gz=14&oz=9&gt=6 should get you them

Thanks

Default Hospitals?

Pavel
    Got this from a Chris Myton at St Edmundsbury Borough Council:

Thank you for your enquiry. The most likely candidate would be the old Suffolk General Hospital on Hospital Road, Bury St Edmunds. It was founded there about 1826 and transferred to the current site in the 1970s. The original site was redeveloped for housing.

I don't know of any other hospitals in Bury St Edmunds during WW2, but you could try asking at the West Suffolk Records Office ; Their contact details are:

Searchroom: 01284 741212, e-mail: bury.ro@suffolk.gov.uk
    This is different from the one that Pete mentioned that used to be on FORNham Road.

Strangely they are both about 20 minutes from where I live.

Dee

Thanks

Many thanks Dee for your help!

I will try my own search and I will contact the recommended West Suffolk Records Office

Pavel

Thanks

Default Bury St Edmunds Hospital

Hi Pavel

I've just seen your enquiry.

As far as I am aware the West Suffolk General Hospital was located in Hospital Road, Bury St Edmunds, as suggested by Dee. It was certainly the hospital that RAF wounded personnel were sent to during the war.

Hope this helps

Brian (resident of Bury St Edmunds)

Thanks

Many thanks Brian for your confirmation!

Pavel