Thread: S/Ldr John BOWIE 76307

Thanks

Default S/Ldr John BOWIE 76307

I try to keep my threads to minimum but does anyone have any information on this officer

S/Ldr John BOWIE 76307

being a crew member on 'any' of the flights to Moscow for Churchill to attend conferences.

From the 1971 South Africa Who's Who his bio is given as:
    Bowie, John, Property Consultant, Aucioneer, Prop and Financial Broker, Sworn Appreiaser, Dir. John Bowie & CO (Pty.) Ltd.; joined African City Properties Trust Ltd.. Jhb., 1914; World War I, Pilot, Lt. RFC. World War II Sqdn. Ldr. Fighter Command RAF; served France, W. Africa, M.E. and and England (was emmdr. of one of the aircraft which flew Sir Winston Churchill to Moscow); b. 5th Feb. 1900) Scot.; Educ: Scot., America, South Africa; sol Rev. George Bowie; m. 30th September 1937, Edith Waveney, dol Alexander Rough. 1 s., 1 d.; Clubs: Royal Aero, Cape Aero. RJGC. Royal Cape Yacht. Cape Aero Club. Kelvin Grove; Rec: Flying, golf;

I seem to have him arriving in New York from Lough Neagh, Northern Ireland in 1944 and later then in March 1945 he prangs an Anson over here in Ireland.

I have the London Gazette info, must actually check it again for sure. And I have found a WW1 John Bowie who served with the SA Field Artillery and then the RAF!
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 19th May 2011 at 23:10.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Mentioned on this site
    http://www.aviationarchaeology.org.uk/marg/men_of_104otu.htm

Rank Names Surname No. Date if killed Function Comment
    F/Lt J Bowie 76307 Pilot On board Wellington Z1460 when it crashed 17/7/43 - survived

Martyn

Thanks

Good man Martyn,
    thanks for that. 12 people in a Wellington, sounds cozy.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Martin Gleeson found that he was posted to RAF Takoradi in Oct 1940 from 24 Squadron. But his name cannot be found elsewhere in the 24 Sqn ORB before that.

I found a newspaper article about him from 1946, titled

SCOTS LAD FLIES SOLO FROM AFRICA

its gives some of the same back story about the Liberator to Moscow in 1942.

Where their four Liberators on that Moscow mission in August 1942, one newspaper I see here mentions three.

Churchill Goes to War: Winston's Wartime Journeys By Brian Lavery mentions three.

I don't imagine they would show up in a SQuadron ORB in any case given the circumstances.

To clarify. I know from many sources Vanderkloot and crew flew Churchill but Bowie may have flown one of the other aircraft by the looks of it. Thats my query. Cheers all.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 15th November 2018 at 00:42.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Even the Wiki page quote from WSC Road to Victory, there were four aircraft that departed Moscow, one aircraft arrived later on the second day. And Wavell, Brooke and Tedder almost had an accident in Tehran also. Mentioned on a few sites and also in a late 1942 Flight magazine!

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarch...?search=Moscow
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

Two Liberators left Tehran for Moscow, Churchill and co. were aboard Liberator AL504 'Commando', piloted by Bill Vanderkloot. The other Liberator* was flown by 74656 S/L Thomas Henry Algernon LLEWELLYN RAFVR. Llewellyn's Liberator had one of the variable pitch propellor blades fail and he had to return to Tehran. S/L Llewellyn flew out next morning stopping off at Kuibyshev, where his load of VIP's, Sir Alan Brooke, General Wavell, Air Marshal Tedder etc., where transferred to a Russian-manned Douglas airliner which took the VIP's on to Moscow.

* Brian Lavery, in his 'Churchill Goes To War' (p.145), identifies the Liberator as AL911, which is hopelessly wrong! AL911 was a Vought-Sikorsky Chesapeake I. I'm not sure of the identity of the Liberator, but I know AM914 took Alan Brooke to Tehran on 8 August, 1942. AM913 is also a possibility, both aircraft were operated by 1425 Flight.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 15th November 2018 at 21:59.

Thanks

Lovely Col, thanks for that. Little bits of the jigsaw.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Checked Carl Christie's Ocean Bridge and surprisingly it only mentions Liberator AL504 Commando with Vanderkloot as pilot for the Moscow trip with Sir Alan Brooke departing the UK in the same aircraft.

I don't know if S/L Llewellyn was assigned to Ferry Command at the time, as Vanderkloot was, but I've asked DHH for a copy of his aircrew assignment cards if they exist. I have Vanderkloot's cards.

Newsreel film of the visit to Moscow here that includes Commando and a USAAF Liberator that presumably brought Averell Harriman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zfbMZKMna0.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 21st November 2018 at 01:28. Reason: Film link added

Thanks

Thanks Rob.

I have a lead on Bowies famiky and hope to hear from them soon perhaps.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Turns out there is a single aircrew assignment card for then P/O T H Llewellyn. His tenure with Ferry Command was short due to sickness - January to May 1941 - and only includes the delivery of Fortress I AN532. The card also notes he was 'To be replaced by F/Lt Reid', whatever that means.

It's possible he was, like a number of other Fortress I delivery pilots, a Coastal Command pilot assigned to Ferry Command for a single Fortress delivery.

So if Llewellyn was indeed in command of 'the other Liberator' on Churchill's Moscow trip he was not with Ferry Command at the time.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 5th December 2018 at 19:09.