Thread: takoradi

Thanks

Default takoradi

Does anyone have any info on the Takoradi airfield circa 1941-1943? Or any info on the supply chain Takoradi-Khartoum?
    Thanks,
    Al Martin

Thanks

Al, Hi,
    Best you can do is join the AiX Forum. I started a thread on there about Mamfe, in Cameroon. The info took some time to surface but there's a stack of it now - including pix. I suspect it may be the same for Takoradi - nothing on the Forum at the moment, but if you stir them up I'm sure somebody will come back to you.
    Now I don't know what your interest is in Takoradi but it was just one of a number of a/fs in W Africa that were the destinations (from USA>Caribbean>S America, and even Ascension Is!) for the huge supply of airframes and equipment from the US to the Mediterranean, the Middle East, India, and the Far East.
    It was not just one route (Takoradi>Khartoum) but a whole network of routes and a/fs from W Africa>Sudan used depending on the season of the year.
    Not a lot is known about what went on. Some small bits and pieces - accidents, and the like - but more needs to be done. The start of aviation across Africa in WW2 started from zero. They made it up as they went along, but it was one of the most important supply lines in WW2.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Al
    The route Takoradi-Khartoum-Egypt was actually first used on 19/9/40 following preliminary work by an RAF detachment led by Gp Cpt H K Thorold, taking a week to reach Abu Sueir in Egypt. The route was pioneered in the mid 30s by Sqn/Ldrs Coningham and Williams for the RAF, and by 1936 was being used by Imperial Airways for a weekly service between Lagos and Khartoum(for Imperial Airways it then joined the Cairo-Capetown route already in use). Takoradi was added in 1940 as a better and drier location than Lagos and the airfield there was strengthened. These details come from an Official early history of the RAF 1939-1945,published in 3 Vols by HMSO in 1953 and written by Dennis Richards and Hilary St George Saunders. It is in Vol 1 pp247-249 and includes a map of the whole route across Central Africa. Part of the route lay across French Equatorial Africa and was potentially hostile territory until the French colony declared for DeGaulle in 1940. The book should be available somewhere 2nd Hand or possibly via the Library service.
    Regards
    Dick