Thread: LAC Observer (U/T) 959972 Stanley H Wakelam 8 October 1940

Thanks

Default LAC Observer (U/T) 959972 Stanley H Wakelam 8 October 1940

The chap who looks after LAC Wakelam's grave in Claverley Churchyard, Shropshire would very much like to know how this man died. I have, so far, searched unsuccessfully for a likely aircraft accident. His parents lived in Bridgnorth which is about eight miles away. He could, of course, have perished in a road accident or from natural causes. Would be grateful for any help with this one.

Thanks

Or he could be possibly killed in air raid?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

The RAF Casualty lists list him as Died on Active Service, so its suggests a non aircraft crash related death, natural causes, car accident or the lilke. Might also be air raid victim.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1940/1940%20-%203169.html bottom RH corner of page
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1940/1940%20-%203170.html top LH corner of page

His death is registered in Rugby district, Warwickshire. Need to check for other deaths around that time in the district, will report later. he is the only entry on VOl 6d page 1718 of the register, the pages before and after this contain young and old deaths, no apparent collection of young service men for example. He might be best placed ordering his death certificate.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd June 2011 at 10:40. Reason: Spellign and added some details
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis and Pavel. I have managed to find my copy of Aeromilitaria for Summer 2000 and there are a lot of crashes listed for that date. Nothing in the Rugby area, however, but Blenheims L4883 and L6783 of No 13 OTU collided on that date. The location is not quoted nor is it in my 1st edition of the L serials book. I think you are right about it being non-crash related, Dennis.

Thanks

Further to my previous post, I have now checked Chorley's OTU Losses for the Blenheim collision. The crew lists rule out LAC Wakelam.