Thread: Leuchars during ww2, any info of my Norwegian grandfather?

Thanks

Default Leuchars during ww2, any info of my Norwegian grandfather?

My grandfather was flying from Leuchars on the Stockholm route and I have done a few Google searches but found very little. I have heard some stories from my late grandmother, and know the operations were very demanding and that there were many losses. But I wonder if there are anywhere one can find actual records of the flights, or does anybody have any information of some sort? My granfathers name was John Strandrud, he flew thr route from the beginning to the end, and was chief pilot at the end of the period. Would be greatful for any information!

Thanks

Hi Tina,

If your grandfather was aircrew on this run then I suspect that he was a civil pilot flying under the Air Transport Auxillary for BOAC.

BOAC archives will hold quite a bit on the Mosquitos used in this operation and I woul contact the RAF Museum at Hendon to see if they hold his BOAC personal file.

If they do then you are in for a treat as the file is much more extensive than corresponding RAF service files.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default British Airways Museum

Tina,

Sounds very much like your grandfather was flying for British Overseas Airways. I suggest you contact the British Airways Museum at ba.1.museum@ba.com. Back in 2008 the museum was very helpful when I had a query about a specific flight betwen Stockholm and Leuchars. Whether the museum has details of individual aircrew is another matter but it's certainly worth a try.

Brian

Edit: That's twice you've beaten me today Ross - won't do the blood pressure any good!
    Last edited by Lyffe; 3rd June 2011 at 12:58.