Thread: 40 Sqn Wellington N2843 Missing 6/7 July 1941

Thanks

Default 40 Sqn Wellington N2843 Missing 6/7 July 1941

HI all:
    I've recently been contacted by a nephew of Sgt F C Pocock, crewman aboard 40 Sqn Wellington IC N2843 BL-L which failed to return from Munster on 6/7 July 1941 and is believed to have come down in the North Sea off Texel. I have the basic information from Bill Chorley's excellent 1941 RAF Bomber Command losses volume, but wondered whether any Dutch researchers might be able to shed a bit more light on the loss, i.e. whether there were any night-fighter or flak claims.

Also, one of the crew, Sgt A Macaskill, survived as a PoW. Does anyone know where or how he came to be captured ?

TIA for any details.

Regards,

BC

Thanks

Hi BC,

I do have a considerble amount of info about this incident, as this occured in my research area.

The brief outline: the Wellington was shot down over the North Sea off Texel at 03.43 hrs by Oblt Woltersdorf, who was on his turn hit by return fire of the Wellington and had to ditch his Do 215 on the Waddenzee.

Sgt Macaskill was lucky to bail out and landed on the Isle of Texel where he was captured.

Please contact me at hnauta AT quicknet DOT nl. Please replace AT and DOT by the obvious symbols.

Regards from Holland,
    Hans

Thanks

There's a full account by Angus Macaskill in my history of 40 Squadron, Sweeping the Skies, pp.162-3.

I'd be glad to be put in touch with Sgt Pocock's relatives. I have a considerable archive of 40 Sqn material, including a photo of P/O John Steeds RNZAF, the pilot.

David

Thanks

Hans and David,

Gentlemen, many thanks for your superb info on this one.

David, check your in-box please.

I made an error in that the relative who contacted me was a nephew of Sgt A G Oliver, RG on N2843. He was the only crewman whose body was recovered

Thanks again for the gen.

BC