Thread: WW2 Flying Training Command Casualties

Thanks

Default WW2 Flying Training Command Casualties

Dear All,
    This is part of what is likely to be an ongoing research project.
    I need to know (or need to know where to go) how to determine the FTC casualties (both in the air, and on the ground), either (a) during WW2 (using the LG definition), or (b) during actual hostilities, or (c) any other analogous period(s).
    I don't have the sorts of extensive libraries that many Forum Members have, but I have a very good local library (and I haven't 'bothered' them too much of late!!!!). There may be an easy answer - I hope so. But, if not, I throw myself on the expertise(s) of the Forum!
    The results are likely to lead to yet another meteorological forensic investigation.
    Gimme the goods!!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

Sorry to appear a pain in the a?> but can I clarify your requirement.

Do you mean RAF Flying Training Command in the UK only. Alternatively, do you mean the flying training organisation within which all RAF flying personnel were trained: they are two very different beasts.

Are you looking for numbers or are you looking for actual named personnel, their dates of casualty and how they became to be a casualty. If the latter, I can tell you I am 18 months into a project to list accidents and casualties and I've only just finished up to 1942 for the UK alone. I'm now up to my elbows as I tackle the rest of the Commonwealth - great joy!!

If you want to study the flying training at the macro level, there is an AP written post-war which covers training and the RAF Museum DORIS will be able to guide you in your search.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,
    Mni tks yr reply.
    What I was looking at was an answer to the question that IF a young, fit, literate, Joe Bloggs Enlisted at the outbreak of WW2, and said that he wanted to be "Aircrew", what were his chances of surviving WW2?
    Assuming he was accepted then the place(s) of training are - to an extent - irrelevant. Did he make it to an Operational Unit? We know (from some excellent statistical work) what the survival rates were in, say, Bomber Command. Are there comparable statistical papers on Fighter, Coastal, Commands? If so, where?
    There was a Memorial to those casualties in FTC which was in the grounds of HQ FTC at RAF Shinfield Park. It has gone missing. How many casualties did it commemorate (and over what period?)? I suspect, that taken overall, Aircrew casualties may even have exceeded the U-Boat lot. But we need figures. Figures don't lie. Only those who interpret them lie.
    We think we may have a way of finding the WW2 FTC Memorial, but we need to have statistical numbers on our side in order to alert Editors/TV Folk as to how important (or not!!) this may be.
    Can you - or anybody - help?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

Thanks for the clarification. I think you do need to talk to both DORIS at the RAF Museum and also AHB(RAF). There will have been some statistical analysis done to relate training input and the attriton during the various stages of the process. Additionally there will be records of accidents to aircraft per/ hours. Spencer Dunmore produced some basic information based on hours per accident and hours per fatality in Canada but I think this is best started by looking at what the official post war analysis found and that would be in the publication I mentioned in my earlier post.

Given that the statistics for Bomber Command training losses is documented (circa 8000 fatals) it will be important to decide whether your figures are to be pre-OTU - when the personnel were really in training or whether you want to push into everything which was prior to posting to a squadron, which would include OTUs, HCUs etc. This decision reinforces my view that the official records is the better starting point.

Cor - big job!!!

DORIS telephone number is 0208 205 2266

Colin
    Last edited by Oldduffer; 5th June 2011 at 06:02.

Thanks

Colin,
    Mni tks yr reply. Much appreciated.
    The 'missing' FTC Memorial commemorated those who had been killed whilst in Flying Taining Command. I am trying to get some sort of figures for FTC to compare and contrast with other, known, casualty summaries. However, I shall go down the road(s) you suggest - and see what happens!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies