Thread: help tracing my grandfathers history

Thanks

Default help tracing my grandfathers history

Guys and girls, ive just been given some stuff by my aunt. Its a RAF service and release book,name of Murray,service number296582 Also, a hand written letter, appears to be an extract from a report, headed, 13 squdron ( actual spelling ! ) aircraft either no , or do , 511. about a fire. It seems my grandpa was a fitter. Also have menus from RAF Cranfield, christmas day, 1944. also same from RAF station Tern Hill, Market Drayton. Year unkown, but very similar printing ! How do I find out more abouit his service record ? I never knew him, he died before I was born. By Family accounts not a great man, but perhaps more to him than meets the eye ! Allegedlly he ran away to join the army air corps when only 14 yo, but was discovered after joining. I know so little about him. would be nice to get some stuff for my son who is Cadet with 1333 grangemouth atc.
    thanks in advance, Scott

Thanks

Scott,

Your best bet is to obtain a copy of his service records from the RAF. Try here as a starting point:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/recordsmedalsbadges.htm

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.