Thread: Request for information

Thanks

Default Request for information

Have had this email from a friend of mine called Del in NZ:
    I'm busily reading 129 WW11 letters that my grandmother each week sent to my two uncles and maybe half that number that they wrote to her and the family. Dax and I have extracted 300 names from the letters and looking for a snippet of info on each as he has typed the uncle's letters out to make up family books of them.

I'm stuck for the name of the 6th crewman on Ray's last flight in Egypt. on 19th April 1942 his flight on Wellington OAD 636 crashed into a hill. The crew were Bryan Steward (pilot), Keith Cochrane(2nd pilot), Eric Bailey (known as Bill & possible rear gunner), Michael Scalon, and navigator Ray Lloyd. Can you help out this quest in any way please……

Can anyone help me with this please

Thanks

Hello,

18/19 April 1942
    No.37 Sqn
    Wellington IC AD642 "D"
    Op: Benghazi

Took off 2236, probably from LG 09, to attack shipping at Benghazi. bad weather forced the abandonment of the mission, and on return the aircraft flew into the ground 5km SE of LG 09, probably while the crew were trying to ascertain their position. All were buried in El Alamein War Cemetery.

1256527 Sgt (Pilot) Bryan Roy STEWARD RAFVR +
    AUS402639 Sgt (2nd Pilot) Keith Merton COCHRANE RAAF +
    NZ403608 F/Sgt (Obs.) Raymond Edgar LLOYD RNZAF +
    755899 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Claude Kenneth NURSE RAFVR +
    1168051 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Eric BAILEY RAFVR +
    1051680 Sgt (Air Gnr.) Michael George Cameron SCANLON RAFVR +

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean. Vol.1: 1939-1942.
    Gunby,David & Pelham Temple.
    Hinckley:Midland Publishing,2006.
    p.139.

On 7-2-1942, Steward, Cochrane Lloyd and Bailey (and two others), were aboard No.37 Sqn. Wellington IC Z8734, which had to belly-land on return from bombing Benghazi. Although the aircraft was damaged beyond repair, there were no apparent injuries.

See: p.123 of above ref.

See also:
    For Your Tomorrow:A Record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915. Volume One: Fates 1915-1942.
    Martyn,Errol W.
    Christchurch:Volplane Press,1998.
    p.198

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th June 2011 at 16:52.

Thanks

Gunby and Temple list the crew as follows in their 'RAF Bomber Losses in he Middle East & Mediterranean' Vol One:

Sgt B R Steward
    Sgt K M Cochrane, RAAF
    Flt Sgt R E Lloyd, RNZAF
    Sgt C K Nurse
    Sgt E Bailey
    Sgt M G C Scanlon

There are no crew details on Lloyd's RNZAF service record but there may be further information on Cochrane's, whose file reference can be found at http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=5523047

(not yet digitised for online viewing, however)

Errol

Thanks

Default Thank you for that

Thank you gentlemen. Will pass the information on to my friend Del... Sorry I havent been online for sometime but have been busy trying to get information for the Kessel Crew... More on that on another thread I think!

Thanks

Default Many thanks

My friend Del was really happy with the information you gave him in reply to this. Quote "It was just what I wanted!" so thanks again.