Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F/Lt PJ Hall POW

Thanks

Default F/Lt PJ Hall POW

Could anyone possilbly tell me how F/Lt PJ Hall became a POW. All I know is that he was in Stalag Luft III , Sagan in June 1943 at which stage his rank was F/ Lt. He was a Pilot by trade so should appear in someones library as either a Pilot or potentially a Navigator.
    I have found a F/O PF Hall as pilot of Mosquito DZ316 9/5/43, which would also make a very recent promotion so is unlikely.
    PJ Hall can not be found in “Footsteps on the Sands of Time” by Oliver C-B therefore I presume he must be outside Bomber Command. Does anyone have anything on Fighter or Coastal Commands that may match a man by these initials (PJ Hall) shot down before this date? Sorry to be so vague, I am trying to identify from a photograph and have no service number.
    Thank you
    James

Thanks

Hi James,

Are you sure of the initials.

There was a F/L Charles Piers HALL (50896) who was at Stalag Luft III. He was one of the 50 executed for taking part in the Great Escape.

He was a pilot with 1 PRU and became a POW on 28 Dec 41 with the rank of P/O.

Probably not your man but you never know.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Hi James and Andy,

To make things more complicated: Peter Frank Hall was in Stalag Luft Sagan from 22nd May 1943 till 27th January 1945 and was also involved with the tunnel escape too and selected to escape, however before his turn the whole escape operation was discovered. His rank on his Liberation Questionnaire is F/Lt, at the time of his capture F/O.

So, no answer to the identity of the Hall you're looking for, but perhaps this background might contain clues for your research.

Regards,
    Hans Nauta

Thanks

Dear Andy and Hans
    Thank you for your replies. I have had a look at the photo I have and the photos of the 50 and I am fairly sure that the man I am looking for is not CP Hall of 1 PRU. My chap has a lot less hair! However an excellent suggestion and one worth chasing.
    I think that the most likely explanation is that it is Peter Frank Hall as Hans has suggested. Obviously the Dulag Luft system was fairly well oiled. In the same photo was Sydney Pozer who was also linked to the escape in some form and was shot down at the end of April 1943, so it it highly probable that the incorrect initials were put with the photo. Not an uncommon occurance.
    If anyone else has another Hall to throw into the melting pot I would be very interested.
    Thank you both again for your ideas.
    James

Thanks

Hi James,

Most interesting!
    Both F/O Peter Frank Hall and F/O Sidney Melbourne Nevanas Pozer (as his full name is) came down in my reserach area, the latter being a survivor of a crash landing on 27th April 1943.

May I ask how you obtained that particular photograph, perhaps you have an archive reference?

Kind regards,
    Hans Nauta

Thanks

Dear Hans
    My great uncle was in Sagan. The photo is a group photo of 7 men, I presume from the same hut that is is his POW Log.
    Please give me 24 hours and I will try to e-mail it to you. I have a busy weekend coming up so please feel free to chase me.
    A shame I was a little late in tracking him down as Sydney Pozer died in 2006.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Default Peter Hall. Stalag Luft 111 POW

Quote Originally Posted by James Castle View Post
    Could anyone possilbly tell me how F/Lt PJ Hall became a POW. All I know is that he was in Stalag Luft III , Sagan in June 1943 at which stage his rank was F/ Lt. He was a Pilot by trade so should appear in someones library as either a Pilot or potentially a Navigator.
    I have found a F/O PF Hall as pilot of Mosquito DZ316 9/5/43, which would also make a very recent promotion so is unlikely.
    PJ Hall can not be found in “Footsteps on the Sands of Time” by Oliver C-B therefore I presume he must be outside Bomber Command. Does anyone have anything on Fighter or Coastal Commands that may match a man by these initials (PJ Hall) shot down before this date? Sorry to be so vague, I am trying to identify from a photograph and have no service number.
    Thank you
    James
    I was wondering if you had had anymore luck in tracing the PJ/F Hall who was a POW in Stalag Luft 111 during the war and was involved in the great escape although didn't actually get out. The reason is that my parents were friendly with a Peter Hall in Leicestershire who said that he had been in the prison camp and was due to escape with the others but couldn't at the last moment because it had been discovered. I understand that he had been involved in helping to forge the requisite travel passes etc. I met both him and his wife a couple of times in the 70 's but i gather he died at some point before 2000. He was quite short and didn't have a great deal of hair when i met him! He had his own private plane and lived in a large house in Leicestershire. Perhaps you could let me know if this might be the same man. Many thanks

Thanks

Dear Jenny
    Thank you for contacting me. It certainly sounds as though this is the same man. Could you e-mail me at Jamescastle(at)btinternet(dot)com ? I could then send you the photograph and you may be able to identify him. As you said, he doesn't have much hair.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

[QUOTE=James Castle;64089]Could anyone possilbly tell me how F/Lt PJ Hall became a POW. All I know is that he was in Stalag Luft III , Sagan in June 1943 at which stage his rank was F/ Lt. He was a Pilot by trade so should appear in someones library as either a Pilot or potentially a Navigator.

I am a very slow keyboarder so......................................

I have included every sentence but one that has Chaz Hall’s
    name in it.

These..................................
    dots indicate space(s) before the mention of Chaz Hall.

I included some sentences/paragraphs that I thought
    might be useful.

I looked in other escape books for Chaz Hall, but none of my 6 other
    escape books have an index! How old are they??
    I did not find anything more useful.

Hmmm! Sure mentions a lot of Canadians!!!

I hope this is some help, it

p 39-40...
    When he arrived at Spangenberg in February 1942, McGill(CAN) soon learned that
    escape attempts were constantly being planned. One ambitious scheme was the
    brainchild of three recently arrived prisoners, all from 3 PRU: Tony
    Barber, downed in early January 1942; Tommy Calnan, captured on December
    30, 1941; and Flight Lieutenant Charles Piers Hall (born C.P. Egerton-Hall), brought
    down on December 28 on only his third flight with the unit. Birmingham-born
    but resident in Halstead near Sevenoaks in Kent, “Chaz” Hall was a quiet and
    reserved young man, an ex-Halton photographer who had once served on \ark
    Royal. He badly wanted to escape but was not sure that it was possible. Still
    he was practical and methodical and could fabricate almost anything with his
    hands.

p 42...
    .................................................. ...
    .................................................. .........
    The compounds of the new Stalag Luft III were completed in early spring
    and the first officers arrived from Barth on March 21, 1942, to take up residence.
    From Spangenberg came Chaz Hall and Canadians Tommy Thompson and George McGill.
    Another bunch, including Danny Krol and legendary legless fighter pilot Douglas Bader,
    was weeded out of Oflag VIB at Warburg.

p 179...
    Once the print on a document was complete, it remained to add the finishing
    touches. Many forms of ausweises and travel permits required photographs, so a
    small studio was set up by Geof Cornish and Chaz Hall.

p 240-241...
    Just as he(Keith Ogilvie) was dozing off, the door to the inn was thrown open and three
    more kriegies walked in, surrounded by a brace of ancient reservists.
    Ogilvie recognized Chaz Hall and Brian Evans, who looked completely
    axhausted after their trek, and also the little Canadian Tommy Thompson. The
    three had had a very interesting, if short, escape. Thompson had been sixty-eighth
    out of the tunnel, following his running mate, fellow Canadian Bill Cameron,
    and the pair covered only about two hundred yards before hearing the shots at the
    tunnel mouth. They pressed on for two or three miles then hid under under a pile of
    brush for the day. That evening they set off again and were trudging silently
    through the forest when two figures suddenly appeared from behind a stand of
    trees. Thinking they might be armed, Tommy fought the urge to bolt and, as he
    peered at the pair, rteralized that they looked oddly familiar. He took a step
    forward and recognized them: Brian Evans and Chaz Hall.
    Eventually, after many embarassing pauses as
    Tommy slowly translated the question and worked up an answer in his mind,
    the Canadian gave up. He did however buy enough time to stuff his papers behind a
    cushion on the couch. Then Keith, Brian, Chaz, and Tommy were driven back to Sagan,
    areriving shortly after the group fromTiefenfurt on the morning of th
    twenty-sixth.
    .................................................. ......
    .................................................. ...........

p253...
    Down the hall Keith Ogilvie shared a cell with Paul Royle, Neville McGarr
    and Chaz Hall. For lack of anything better to do one morning, Chaz dug a pencil
    stub out of his pocket and wrote “Morituri te salutamus” (We who
    are about to die salute you). The four of them had a good laugh over that.
    .................................................. ............
    .................................................. .............
    .................................................. ..........

p265...
    Twenty-four hours later, the episode was repeated. Cars were heard to draw
    up and then the sound of gutteral voices filled the corridor. This time Keith Ogilvie
    squeezed up to the tiny window in the door and peered out, just in time to watch
    another group being led away. He saw Edgar Humphreys, Dutchy Swain, Chaz
    Hall, Brian Evans, and Wally Valenta; following them were George McGill,
    hand cuffed to a tall, pugilistic-looking civilian, Pat Langford, Adam Koloanowski,
    Bob Stewart, and Hank Birkland.

p289...
    Mike Casey’s “run in the woods” ended in a spray of bullets outside Gorlitz.
    With him died Ian Cross, Tom Leigh, George Wiley----the youg looking Canadian
    who had never been sure of his chances in the first place---Johnny Pohe, and
    Al Hake. The last two, with their severe frostbite, certainly had not made any
    further escape attempts.
    One fellow who did a lot of soul-searching during those days was Alex Cassie.
    Scanning the list, he felt instantly sick upon seeing the names of four of his
    roommates among the dead: Tim Walenn, Henri Picard, and Gordon Brettell, all three
    murdered with Rene Marcincus near Danzig; and Tony Hayter, shot by the side
    of the road near Natzweiler. Of Alex’s other roommate, Des Plunkett, there was
    no word. Cassie sat on his bunk, going over the lunatic antics that he and his
    friends had engaged in, and felt devastatingly lonely.
    Wally Valenta and Adam Kolanowski both had their fears borne out: They
    lost their lives with Hunk Humphreys, George McGill, Cyril Swain, Pat Langford,
    Brian Evans, Bob Stewart, and Hank Birkland in a clearing just outside Gorlitz.
    With them died Chaz Hall, who had jokingly written “We who are about
    to die salute you” on the cell wall.

F

Thanks

Dear Robert
    Thank you so much for all these fascinating quotes.
    My thread began to identify a PJ Hall in a photograph at Sagan. It has since emerged that this man was infact PF Hall. Both men were involved in the Great Escape , though it was PJ who go out and was later executed while PF never made it out.
    I am trying to build up a list of as many men as possible who were involved in one way or another. Most lists cover the 50 who were evecuted while others cover the 76 who got out. I would like to try and identify the 200 who were the intended escapees on that night, but in doing so will be able to add some of the names of those who assisted in one way or another.
    I do not remember reading any of these quotes before and will certainly have to look for a copy of Vance's book. Thank you for taking the time to type in so much detail. I very much appreciate it, as I am sure will all the others who read this thread.
    Best wishes
    James