Thread: S/L N.K. Loyd 39387

Freshman Guest

Default S/L N.K. Loyd 39387

A follow up from my query a few weeks ago about Beaufort W6473 which crashed in New Mexico, 27/3/42.

Local newspaper at the time suggested the pilot (who was suffered minor injuries and burns), Sqn Ldr. N.K. Loyd of No.32 O.T.U. was a Canadian. I think his serial number tells he was serving in the RAF, but is there any evidence that he may have been one of the Canadians that joined the RAF before WW.2.

His name does not appear in 'They Shall Grow Not Old' or in a CWGC search so I presume he survived the conflict.

Thanks in advance, Tony Broadhurst

Thanks

Hi Tony,

From the pre war Air Force Lists

Acting P/O 25 Jan 1937
    P/O 16 Nov 1937

Norman Kesteven Loyd

Regards
    Ross

Freshman Guest

Default S/L N.K. Loyd 39387

Thank You Ross, that is a useful start.

I now have a little more information:

No.32 O.T.U.'s ORB (23.3.42) refers to him as S/L N.K. Loyd.

One of the Arizona newspapers reporting the accident referred to the pilot as F/L N.K. Loyd of Kelowna, B.C. That may only be his address whilst posted to 32 OTU which was located at Patricia Bay, near Vancouver.

My success with London Gazette is always patchy, but since posting earlier this evening I have used his service number and got some useful returns.

I now know that as of 28th May 1945 Flt/Lt. (temp Sqdn Ldr.) N.K. Loyd (39387)relinquished his RAF commission on appointment to the R.C.A.F. Which, I feel strengthens the likelyhood he was originally from Canada.

Tony