Thread: CWGC Search Engine

shaymen Guest

Default CWGC Search Engine

Hi all
    From a Great War Forum I frequent a chap named Geoff has come up with a brilliant search engine that searches CWGC in many different ways. Link Below
    http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

The link is for his WW2 version - There is also one for the Great War.

Just giving this forum the heads up on this, don't know if you were aware of it.

Regards
    Glyn

Thanks

Thanks for the heads-up Glyn.

I have been using Geoff's WW1 engine for a couple of weeks now and find it very useful. It has been given rave reviews by many of the 'old sweats' over at the Great War Forum.

Great to be able to do keyword searches inside the CWGC records. I note that to date, he has only indexed United Kingdom casualties for WW2, however I am sure the other Commonwealth countries will be coming on-line in a matter of days.

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 21st November 2007 at 17:27. Reason: additional information

Thanks

Default CWGC Search Engine

Hi,

I am having another website by Duncan MacLeod, doing the CWGC search.

http://www.purecollector.com/history/cwgc/

Also very useful.

Best regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Brilliant site, thanks for this.

How on earth has he managed to enable searching by date? Does the site use some sort of "back door" to the entire CWGC database?

Thanks

Brilliant indeed Mark!

I suggest you tune in to the initial thread on the Great War Forum (GWF) where Geoffrey first introduced his search engine for CWGC Great War entries. The ensuing posts will provide some answers as to how it was implemented and how it and the WW2 engine are being continually enhanced.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83092&hl=engine

Cheers, Ken

Thanks

Fascinating! I had the same apprehension about the cwgc search engine and cut and pasted all the entries for the displayed indexes for airmen dying in WW II from all nationalities into searchable/sortable excel databases - 120,673 (copies of which I have distributed to those who inquired). I see now from the link that Henk posted that this was probably unneccesary as better search engines that link to the subfield, such as decorations and notes may be available through other seach means. I am sure this will help everyone - whatever their purpose.

H
    Last edited by Howdie; 24th November 2007 at 17:56.