Thread: RAF Air Estimates 1940-1945

Thanks

Default RAF Air Estimates 1940-1945

Hello,

The Air Estimates of the Air Ministry/RAF for the period 1918-1939 and 1946 and further on can be found in several publications, books etc. But it'd like to know how much was spent on the expanding of the RAF during the war years. Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Erwin

Thanks

Since nobody else wants to respond to this, I offer you some personal thoughts, for which I have no hard facts.

The onset of a general war invalidated all the predictions against which the traditional estimates were produced.

Ever changing plans and the evolution of all aspects of air power during the war would have made the analysis of future requirements and their presentation in a form which made any sense and which would provide for a parliamentary 'vote' completely irrelevant.

Rather than attempt an exercise of this sort, I suspect that bids were made through the air staffs for money and the Treasury said 'Yes or No'. I know of cases, such as the 'uparming' of bomber defensive weapons, which were a long time securing approval and funding.

It is known that by about 1944, however, plans were being laid for the peacetime world but these could only be tentative. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the UK only finished paying off its war debt in fairly recent times.

I do stress that this is just a personal view of the likely situation but in the absence of a positive statement of fact, I think you will agree it is the most likely scenario.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Thanks Old Duffer!

Regards,

Erwin