Thread: Looking for info on: Spitfire LF Mk. IX serial no. MH779 KH-T - No. 403 Squadron RCAF

Thanks

Default Looking for info on: Spitfire LF Mk. IX serial no. MH779 KH-T - No. 403 Squadron RCAF

HI there,

I am looking to build a diorama in 1/48 scale and noticed on the web some photos of the following aircraft Spitfire LF Mk. IX serial no. MH779 KH-T from No. 403 Squadron RCAF being recovered. I have been searching and have not found any information regarding this aircraft and what happened or who was flying the plane at the time of the crash. I have determined it happened in Normandy and it was photographed being recovered on 11 August 1944. Aircraft damaged on ops on 14 July 1944. The aircraft is interesting since it only has the invasion stripes on one side of the fuselage. You can see photos online at the following locations:

http://www.thescale.info/news/publish/Spitfires-Canadian-Squadrons.shtml

The photo is credited to John Bradley and I can not figure out how to reach this individual. If any one has any additional photos and knowledge on this specific aircraft and the pilot who flew it I would be interested in finding out more.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Scott Bricker

Thanks

It looks there are some stripes visible on starboard bottom, but they are very worn. So it looks one side was more exposed to the elements, than the other. Of course, it is possible there was a gap for code letters. Better photos are necessary.

Thanks

MH779 LFIX
    CBAF M66
    39MU 1-10-43
    129S 'DV-N' 12-10-43
    453S 15-6-44
    403S CAC ops 14-7-44
    127 Wing 24-8-44
    ASTE 5-10-44
    MedAAF 9-4-45
    to ItalianAF 30-6-47 as MM4107
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Default I have discovered the information I was given was incorrect. The correct information

Spitfire IX, KH-T (MK857) it was hit by flak on July 19, 1944 part of the 403 Squadron it went down in a mine field in Normandy and was recovered on August 11, 1944. I am building a diorama of the event and it will be able to be viewed here as it unfolds http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72259&hl= It appears American flak batteries near St. Lo got carried away hitting 5 of 6 403 Squadron Spitfires, with three having to make forced landings. F/L Stu Tosh was the pilot and was able to get out of the plane and he made it back to his base 4 hours later. I am not sure if the aircraft flew again afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    MH779 LFIX
    CBAF M66
    39MU 1-10-43
    129S 'DV-N' 12-10-43
    453S 15-6-44
    403S CAC ops 14-7-44
    127 Wing 24-8-44
    ASTE 5-10-44
    MedAAF 9-4-45
    to ItalianAF 30-6-47 as MM4107

Thanks

Default RCAF PL-Series

Scott,

The actual photos are from the massive PL-series once owned and housed by the Canadian Forces in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. They are now with special collections unit of the Library and Archives Canada.

Don't waste your time in trying to track down John Bradley....he's been off the radar screen for a while due to a few things that involved photos, but not of the aircraft type.

Stephen

Thanks

Default Mk857

MK857 was sent to Russia and was not serving with 403 Sq.

John

Thanks

2nd TAF has Tosh on MK859 !

Thanks

Default Thanks for all the help with this!

The way all this started is a saw a photo of a spitfire Mk IX being lowered onto a flat bed while looking for historical photos on the web. Since then I have meet a lot of great people and have discovered that the Pilot had been L/F Stu Tosh from "The Canadians" , this book said the serial was MK857, the post I found previous to this book had said it was MH779. This is why I came to this site. I was told if I needed the best of the best you guys would know the correct information. My friend was correct. Thank you!!!

Like I said previously I am build a diorama based on this scene. If anyone is interested in following this build It can be viewed on these three forums.

Hyperscale
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1307812652/1-48+Diorama+and+help+needed+with+info+for+most+accu rate+Spitfire+MK+IXc

Aeroscale
    http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&r eq=viewtopic&topic_id=177337&page=1

Britmodeller
    http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72259&hl=
    --

Each forum has provided great information and it is amazing how much information there is out there.

Thanks again,

Scott