Thread: RAF Chetwynd

Default RAF Chetwynd

Hi all, I'm the Adjudant of a newly formed Detatched Flight of 83 (St Georges) Sqn ATC. We are based in Newport North Shropshire very close to what is now a Relief Landing Ground at Chetwynd. I am looking for a Sqn number that is relevant to the area. Can anyone help?

The first user of the airfield was No. 5 Flying Training School at Tern Hill in October 1940. Thr type of aircraft used were Masters. Tern Hill used several relief landing grounds and Chetwynd was one of the main ones.
    5 FTU was renmamed 5 Pilots Advance Flying Unit and continuted to use Chetwynd until June 1945.
    It has been used as a relief landing ground for various helicopter training units since the 60's.

Source:The Military Airfields of Britain - Wales & West Midlands by K Delve

Bob,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    Can't find any Sqns directly associated with Chetwynd, but 132, 133, and 134 Sqns were all originally formed at Ternhill in 19-canteen.
    RAF Shawbury may be able to give you a steer to any helicopter Sqns who have used Chetwynd.
    I note that on the Airfield Information Exchange (AiX) Forum there is some stuff for Chetwynd. Now there is always somebody on that Forum who knows something about any airfield - or knows who does!
    There also may be somebody here on rafcommands who does. Just a question of knocking on the right doors. Good luck!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 12th June 2011 at 15:15.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Ahhhhhhh Chetwynd of fond memory! I did my first night practice engine failures at Chetwynd in a Whirlwind helicopter in 1965.

Pull back the Speed Select lever, lower the collective pitch lever and enter autorotation. Fire off the Schmoley flares and then spiral down beneath the light they shed before landing (hopefully) gently on the ground!! Sorry for the digression - couldn't resist it.

I do not believe any squadrons actually operated from there or were based there and it has always been merely a relief landing ground. When piston Provosts were based at 6 FTS Tern Hill, they couldn't use Chetwynd because it was too small.

As to the suggestion that you contact Shawbury, the current squadrons there are 60, 660 (Army) and 705 (RN). In days gone by 90, 131, 137 and 411 were all based at Shawbury. High Ercall boasts 41, 68, 247, 255, 257, 285, and 535. This info comes from Jefford RAF Sqns. I have not researched the extent of the sqns' involvement at these two bases.

A word of caution Bob Y. If you're looking to the great day when your detached flight becomes a sqn in the ATC, you will probably find that a number will be given you rather than you selecting your own. Second word of caution - mind 'Peppe' D'A doesn't take you to task!!

Old Duffer

Bob,
    Further to my last. Willis & Holliss says there were 149 RAF staff at Chetwynd on 31 Dec 1944 (in 'Temporary' accommodation - Seco Huts?). There were, alledgedly, 7 x 65 foot Blister hangars. Where were all these? The RAF Museum may have an AMWD airfield plan. There are some very interesting soil/crop marks on the current Google Earth image. Most look natural, but what are those lines joining the white spots in that quadrilateral centred at 52.813042 -2.407339? The image was taken in June so the crop marks will show a possible earlier trench where there is greener crop.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Default Missed the Blindingly Obvious

Bob Y et al,

I've missed the blindingly obvious. If, Bob, you are a member of 83 Sqn (albeit ATC not RAF), you will have to go a very long way before you will find a unit with a better record of achievement, particularly in the last war.

I never did understand why the number plate has never been used again after the Vulcan sqn was disbanded in 1969 but there it is.

So, be proud of being 83 - it has a finer history than most of the other units mentioned in this thread.

Old Duffer