Thread: 248 squadron and 86 Squadron

Thanks

Default 248 squadron and 86 Squadron

I was wondering if any member might be able to help me. I am trying to find out more about a chap named J T Green. He seems to have served with 248 Squadron at Dyce, Wick, and Bercham Newton before joining 86 Squadron serving at North Coates, St Eval, Skitten, and Gibralter. He then seems to have spent some time in hospital before returning to 86 Squadron at Thorney Island.

So far I have been unable to pin him down and was wondering if any members might have the ORBs for the squadrons so I can try and work out what he was doing. I think he may have been an AG or a navigator and he then seems to have moved onto pilot training in 1943. I know by this time he was also a flying officer and by 1945 he was a Fl/Lt.

He also seems to sign his name J Trevor Green (I think) if that helps.

Any advice would be great,

Johnnie

Thanks

Hi Johnnie,

Possible trace of yor man.

13/07/42
    1 OADU
    Beaufort IIa
    DD872
    BX-V

P/O E H Brockhouse RAAF, 400218, safe
    P/O J T Green, 124247, safe
    Sgt H F Musker, injured

Transit, Took off RAF North Front, Gibraltar

Crashed into sea 40 miles west of Gibraltar at 05:12 hrs after port, then starboard, engine failed during squadron move to Malta.

I think that this was the No.86 Sqn move.

Need to be a bit careful with who was who as No.86 Sqn also had a J B Green as AG aircrew until PoW in Nov 1941

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Many thanks for that. It would certainly seen to fit. If we could confirm that his middle name was Trevor I think it will sort it. So far I gave only been able to find to LG entries for 124247 and both fit with my chap, however I have been unable to find his original commission notice which should give his full name and confirm the situation.

Johnnie.

Thanks

Re Ross' signal of 18 Jun 2011.
    If the Sqn were moving from Gib to Malta then how come somebody plops into the Oggin 40 miles WEST of Gib?
    Somebody might have to have a little word in the Sqn Nav O's shell-like? Or am I not reading the script properly?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Setting of recip would be my guess.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Just to update on the this thread.

It seems that Green undertook quite a large number of ops with 86 Squadron and was part of the regular crew of Wing Commander Flood. I haven't listed all the ops he undertook however a few include:

06/02/42 - AW284 - W/Cdr Flood - Biscuit
    12/02/42 - AW284 - W/Cdr Flood - Strike (Channel Dash)
    16/02/42 - W6537 - W/Cdr Flood - Patrol (ships attacked and sunk)
    28/03/42 - AW284 - W/Cdr Flood - Mid Saucer
    06/04/42 - AW284 - W/Cdr Flood - Stand Patrol
    12/05/42 - AW284 - W/Cdr Gaskell - North Stand Patrol

On the 11/07/42 he moved to OADU Portreath for his move overseas and his crew (in DD872) is reported as Brookhouse, Musker, and Levy. Green is reported to be a W/Op.AG, as is Levy, while Muster is down as an observer. Brookhouse was the pilot.

The next mention is on the 01/08/42 when Brookhouse and Green are moved to 5 (C) OTU. The ORB also reports that they crashed on the 13/07/42 and made it back to England, while Musker made it back after spending some time in hospital in Gibralter.

I assume that after spending some time with 5 (C) OTU he moved to pilot training from 1943 he was training as a pilot.

I was wondering if any members might have more information on Flood or Gaskell, or if anybody has any idea why Levy wasn't mentioned when they ditched but was supposed to be part of the crew.

Johnnie