Thread: Two brothers killed within 3 weeks

Thanks

Default Two brothers killed within 3 weeks

Hi, I am trying to find info on my mothers 2 cousins ,CHARLES W HARTOP SGT 741985 ,He was killed 21/10/40 on a raid to Berlin .He was in 44 sqd i think he flew BLEINHAMS but on that night of his death he was in a lancaster?. His brother JOSEPH A HARTOP was a HURRICANE PILOT ,SGT UT 745668 IN SQD 607.KILLED 15/11/40,and buried in caister lincolnshire.ANY info however small would be welcome on either one.

Thanks

Hi

Charles was killed whilst flying in Hampden I, P2137 of No 44 Sqn, Lancasters did not enter service with the RAF until the following year.

Joseph was probably killed whilst flying Hurricane I, P3305 of No 607 Sqn, which crashed whilst undertaking a dummy attack near Grangemouth.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi,
    I'm afraid I can't add much here apart from telling you where he's not mentioned. I looked through one or two pilot's logbooks: nothing mentioned about him or the accident. The Squadron ORB does not note when he joined the squadron neither does it mention his demise or any accident within a few days either side of the date. I looked at a squadron history, privately published, nothing in there either.
    A whiz around the Internet indicates that Hurricane P3305 crashed 2 1/2 miles N E of Grangemouth on landing approach: a/c stalled and crashed. 607 Squadron were based at the time at Turnhouse, (Edinburgh) with detachments at Drem. Various flights were flown to Grangemouth so, the crash may have occurred on one of these flights.
    Two and a half miles to the N E of Grangemouth would put him in the Firth of Forth: Malcolm's scenario looks more likely. Pretty naff reply, I'll make a note of it, just one of those things.

Robert.

Thanks

Hi

Both brothers were weekend pilots learning to fly with the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    Charles service number 741985 tells me he enlisted around August 1938. Joseph service number 745668 means he enlisted around April 1939. Both would have been called up for full time service 1 September 1939 !

Mark

Thanks

Death registered in Grangemouth so looks very likely he was on Hurricane P3305

Thanks

Default all who helped me

THANKYOU for all your info ,my mother is now 90 this year and i can at last tell her this info.IT was because of thier deaths she joined the A T S became a ambalance driver and done her bit.

Thanks

Default Sqn Associations

These came off the RAF Register of Assns:
    44 (Rhodesia) Squadron Sqn Ldr H M Horscroft RAF(Retd), 9 Church Lane, Eagle, Lincoln LN6 9DJ : tel 01522 868653: 44sqnassn AT hhorscroft.freeserve.co.uk
    607 (County of Durham) Squadron Association Hon Secretary: F C Beacon, 20 Fairfield Road, Penarth, South Glamorgan, CF64 2SL: tel 029 2070 0258
    I am sure if you contacted them you would be welcomed and might be able to get to go to their reunions and meet some veterans if they have any...
    Dee