Thread: DFM information help

Thanks

Default DFM information help

G'Day all,
    I am hoping someone on this forum can help me with information on the DFM awarded to my great uncle, 1075155 Alexander Armstrong Munro. He was an Air Gunner (rear) with 61 Sqn then transferred to 619 Sqn, shot down 11/4/1944 over Holland on his second tour (!) and buried in Eindhoven. His DFM was gazetted 11/6/1943 but thats as far as I've got. I've only just started researching him and would appreciate any information, however small, that you can provide. Also, does anyone know what medals he was entitled to apart from the DFM?
    Thanks in advance,
    John

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer Munro

"This NCO has flown on most of his 28 successful raids with his flight commander, taking part in 5 raids on Bremen, 4 on Essen and those on Italian targets including the daylight raid on Milan. Ever alert in his turret, he has greatly assisted his capatinon all occasions by his fine example and an inspiration to the other members of his crew. For his exemplary serive, he is recommended for the award of the DFM " - so says the citation as published in Tavender.

His medals should be something like:

1939-45 Star
    Aircrew Europe
    Defence Medal
    War Medal

Almost certainly on his second tour and there is probably a period at a training school between the first and second. He was flying in Lancaster LL784 (this from Chorley) and his pilot was S/L J W E D McGilvray DFC. There were two survivors: F/Os E A Drake and A K Baker. The other crew killed were: Sgts I R F Haberfield and R Hillier and F/O J L Pritchard.

Hope that gets you started. Goodluck

Old Duffer

Thanks

Default Thanks mate!

Gee, you're quick for an 'old duffer'! Thank you so much, thats fantastic info. I've managed to find out a bit about LL784 and it's crew and a great bloke in Eindhoven sent me a photo of the grave. Any idea how I'd find out which crew and bomber he flew with in 61 Sqn?
    Thanks again for the help,
    John

Thanks

Hello John !
    I and a dutch friend are researching you since a long time !
    Can you contact meat:
    alain-charpentier@live.fr

A relative of McGilvray has been found too, and my dutch friend could help you for the other of the crew as for a picture of the grave .

Alain

Thanks

I take it that you don't have your uncle's logbook. That would be be a gold mine if you could find it.

Surviving next of kin can obtain a copy of Munro's service record, not sure how much it costs and it comes from a Disclosures Branch at RAF Cranwell, near Sleaford (haven't got the full address but if nobody posts it here, I'll find it).

In the absence of the logbook, individual sorties for the squadron would be recorded on the RAF Form 541. That requires you to work your way through the Forms to see when your uncle's crew was operating. You might need to employ a National Archives researcher to do this bit, unless you are in UK or can wait until the archives are put on-line.

He and his crew might not have used the same aircraft throughout and there is no guarantee that the whole crew operated together all the time (see other posts on 'Crews Sticking Together' on this site).

If you can get the name of the flight commander with whom he flew on 61, that could open up a useful line of research, as the RAF was very 'pilot centric' (still is in many respects!!!!!). McGillvray's DFC comes from 619 and was not gazetted until the end of 1945, so I think it might be unlikely that McGilvray and Munro flew together on their first tour but you never know.

I don't know what your family relationships are like but if you can talk with any of his siblings, they might be able to tell you where Munro's personal things went at the end of the war and whether his medals were ever claimed. Replacements can be acquired from a number of sources, both official and 'in the trade'. The DFM original medal with provenance will be quite valuable and the full set even more so.

Oh by the way, I see you're posting on pprune.org. Very rough lot over there, always moaning about something!

Old Duffer - just off to walk the dogs.